steering wander

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

walkyourway

steering wander

Post by walkyourway »

I have a 2015 Freedom. I find that at virtually any speed I have to concentrate on correcting the steering the whole time and very bad in crosswind situations. (compared with my car which pretty much stays straight and doesn't "wander from side to side). I was going to get the castor angle checked BUT I asked someone at the May NM rally if this was a BF problem> (I am very sorry I can't remember who that was - my bad).

His suggestion was NOT to follow the Ford F450 guidelines but set the castor angle to 5 deg. ( I don't know what the Ford recommendation is). Anyone done this? If this gentleman is reading this, my apologies for forgetting your name as your suggestion does sound very convincing.

Chris Reid
Pete1122

Re: steering wander

Post by Pete1122 »

I had some steering wander on my 2006 Born Free, I installed a Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer and front Sumo Springs. I went from two handed driving, to one handed/two finger driving, the difference was amazing! I drove 3200 miles with it stock up to Alaska, installed the stabilizer and Sumo Springs up there and drove 3200 miles home, so I had plenty of time to evaluate the before/after. I highly recommend those two modifications, however I also hear getting your caster to the correct alignment helps as well.
2006 Born Free RSB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Please read my post titled Alignment Issues Causing Unstable Steering and Road Wander located in the Technical Library section on this forum. Yes, get your caster angle set high, at least 5 degrees if possible. Do this first before spending money on any aftermarket add-ons.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
walkyourway

Post by walkyourway »

Thank you Bill - the information you provided has been printed and I hope to find a reliable shop to carry out your suggestions. (Ford dealer here is useless and very unhelpful). Thanks again.

Chris
bfadmin
Site Admin

Post by bfadmin »

Chris,

After you get that caster setting adjusted higher, please let us know if you see an improvement in steering stability.
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Website Forum Administrators
(bfadmin-1) Dave Moffat - Primary Administrator
(bfadmin-3) Sandy Perley - Assistant Administrator
(bfadmin-2) Bill Hemme - Backup Administrator
(bfadmin) Email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Should all else fail, you might consider the installation of a Safe-T-Steer front stabilizer or a like alternative such as Roadmaster makes. It, and a heavy duty rear sway bar did the trick for our 2007 24RB. These two installations were made after trips to a large Ford dealership, a reputable front end/tire shop, and several independent RV repair facilities, all to no avail. When we took delivery of our 2007 RB I was amazed that the delivery driver even made it to California, for to say that the vehicle had a bad case of wanderlust, would be a massive case of understatement.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
walkyourway

Post by walkyourway »

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I am going to try the 5 deg. camber mod. first and then report back.

Chris
2015 Freedom
whemme

Post by whemme »

Chris, it is caster than needs be adjusted up to +5 degrees or higher, not amber.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
walkyourway

Post by walkyourway »

Yes thanks Bill. Either a typo or dementia not sure which. Coach goes in Wednesday and I will report back after a decent road test.

Chris
walkyourway

Post by walkyourway »

I got the castor angle amended to about 5 deg. (originally the castor angle was between 2 and 3.5 deg). We waited to report back until after we had a high crosswind situation. We found that on Trail Ridge Road, Colorado (12,000 ft.)!!

I have to report that the situation is very much better and the coach feels much more stable. I was expecting the steering to "centre" more than it does, but that has not happened so I still have to positively steer out of a corner. (very different from the average car).

The cost was a bit of a shock as the Ford chassis has no way of making that adjustment (see Bill Hemmes recommendation). The cost of supplying, fitting and adjusting was $600.

Thank you all for your recommendations.

Chris

2015 Freedom
Pete1122

Post by Pete1122 »

I'll stick with my previous recommendation, pick up a Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, it does a fantastic job of returning your steering to center on bumps and crosswinds. You will love it.
2006 Born Free RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”