Water Pump Question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

KevinVT

Water Pump Question

Post by KevinVT »

Hey folks,

We are picking up a new to us 2001 Born Free 24RB on Monday. The seller mentioned he filled the water tank with fresh water and hears the water pump working when he opens the faucet but is getting no water from the faucets. He said it sounds like the pump is working constantly.

I mentioned look for leaks. I also mention maybe the water is filling the hot water heater?

Any other thoughts? A possible clog in the line? Any suggestions? He mention they almost never used the tank - they often hooked up to water at campgrounds. I think that would mean the pump rarely got used.

Just wondering what I should look at first when I arrive on Monday. Anyone have a pump fail? Thanks.
—Kevin
--Kevin
2003 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6685 -- 11/2003

(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6176 -- 9/2000)
(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6185 -- 3/2001)
whemme

Re: Water Pump Question

Post by whemme »

There is a shut off valve in the water line leading out of the fresh water tank into the input side of the water pump. Check to make sure that that valve is turned open.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
KevinVT

Post by KevinVT »

Thanks Bill,

That could be helpful. I will be able to look closer tomorrow. In talking with the owner and doing some more research on these water pumps, I think the check valve might be stuck or there might be debris in the pump. There are a few YouTube videos out there showing these pumps and the issues others have found. I think what happens is some owners only use city water - this bypasses the pump and they dry out. Then the pump sits dry for a while and the check valve get sticky or mineral build up can also make this valve stick. I'll need to pull the pump out to check this (and when I do this I might just replace this 20 year old pump with a new one as a precaution). I think there is a drain valve before the pump and after the tank - I might need to use this to drain the fresh water tank - so I can remove the pump (I guess if there is a shut off before the pump I can use this too - to remove the pump without draining the tank - so I will look for that first Bill, thanks!

Here are the links to the videos I watched that helped me see the inner workings (hope this might help someone else). Looks like just taking the top off the pump will expose most of the potential areas that might need to be addressed. I'll give an update once I learn about what the issue was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnMx0Ph5WFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL_3kz7y2zM

--Kevin
--Kevin

bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

It's good to try all the suggestions. When we started heading west 8 months ago the water pump worked. The other day while boondocking it did not work, the motor just got hot, stalled. The same day my best friend, also on the road called and the check valve in his pump had failed.

I have now had 5 RV's over 19 years, everyone of them has required their water pumps to be replaced. Fortunately they are easy to replace and not expensive.

Most other items have not required replacement , additional replacements over 5 years, 1 fridge, 1 hot water heater, no heaters, no stoves, no propane tanks, 2 converters, , no air conditioners, no engines, 1 transmission.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
KevinVT

Post by KevinVT »

Update

Hey folks - in the end I replaced the water pump in my 2001 24RB and everything works perfect.

I own two Born Frees and I had a water pump issue with my 2003 24RB around the same time and I thought folks might find this helpful.

The switch on the monitor was working - PUMP lite up.. but no power was getting to the pump. As a temp fix we installed a switch right at the pump. Long story short --- there was a wire that broke just above the Hood. When I had power at the switch and not at the pump I started to trace things back a bit and started with dropping the Hood. I could see the wires from the panel went into a harness... I though maybe the other side of the harness is the issue. Here is what I found - YELLOW is the power from the pump switch to the pump - it was clean in 1/2. Interesting. Looks like the connection just failed.

Maybe this might help someone :-)
--Kevin

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”