Mud flaps

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Fourwinds

Mud flaps

Post by Fourwinds »

I have a broken white mud flap - brittle, brakes easily by just pinching it. Camping World was no help. Said they would have to order. Where is a reliable source for flexible mud flaps for at 26' rear corner bed, 2002 model? Now with Born Free disbanded, finding parts, "things" for the Born Free is a real challenge. Camping World told me they had never heard of the make of the toilet in our rig. Going around in circles. Can anyone point me in a positive direction? :) Thanks ahead of time.
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
2002 Born Free, 26 ft rsb
WardPAW

Re: Mud flaps

Post by WardPAW »

Jess,

I purchased Buyers Products ploy mud flaps from Northern Tool. You have to purchase 2- 24in x 24in white mud flaps and cut to size. I have a table saw, so it was pretty easy. To create the slot in the flap, simply trace the existing flap and cut with a jig saw. Keep in mind that each side is different. I think the factory created customized flaps for the coaches.

See attached picture of a spare set I created when I replaced my flaps last year.

This is a link to the product on Northern Tool. The flaps are also available thru other vendors on Amazon.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200685885
Attachments
Born Free 26RSB Mud Flaps.JPG
Born Free 26RSB Mud Flaps.JPG (22.31 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

Ahh, Ben! Thanks! I AM interested. I have one truck-supply local company I've yet to visit to "see"? if they would/could (and at what price?) make a pair to fit.

But this is very interesting. I could do that. BUT...what is the material they are made of? Do you know? The broken one on our's (passenger side) breaks like a cracker when I put the slightest pressure on it. No wonder a large chunk - most of the bottom flap - was lost. I'm wondering if it's the same material?
I'd like to have something pliable!

Jess
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

How is it possible to remove the old and replace with the new? Do you have to pull the dual wheels?
Jess JDixon1@bak.rr.com
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
whemme

Post by whemme »

Jess, It says right on the Northern Tool link that the flaps are make of a polymer material.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

The polymer material is a flexible plastic/rubber type of compound. I would say that this mud flap is more flexible than the semi-rigid mud flap installed by the factory. The attached photo shows the replacement flap on our coach.

As to creating the mud flap, our mud flaps measure 20 1/4" x 20 1/4". I rounded the corners by tracing a can to create the curve and cut the corner. If you still have the upper part of your flaps, trace for the slot and the screw holes.

I removed the wheels to allow for easier access to the flap and removing/installing the screws. When re-installing the screws, put some caulking/adhesive in the screw holes prior to installation.
Attachments
BF 26RSB mud flap installed.JPG
BF 26RSB mud flap installed.JPG (33.22 KiB) Viewed 5271 times
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

Great! Thank you both SO MUCH! They look GREAT on your BF. Thanks for the photo as well.
Jess & Bonnie Dixon
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

The attached photos show the flexibility of the polymer mud flap material. The piece shown is the portion that was trimmed from the original flap.

Road debris and tires separating, while traveling at high speeds, may still cause damage.
Attachments
BF 26 RSB poly mud flap material 2.JPG
BF 26 RSB poly mud flap material 2.JPG (28.48 KiB) Viewed 5240 times
BF 26 RSB poly mud flap material 1.JPG
BF 26 RSB poly mud flap material 1.JPG (31.93 KiB) Viewed 5240 times
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
Fourwinds

Post by Fourwinds »

Oh! That is impressive! Referring to the flexibility! Great! Thanks again. The photos are so helpful.
J.
Jess & Bonnie Dixon

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”