1999 RB Microwave replacement

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tanksalot

1999 RB Microwave replacement

Post by tanksalot »

After spending HOURS fiddling with various switches etc., I have to get a new microwave oven. I noticed a lot of the posts on this topic are somewhat dated, so I thought I'd ask now. The opening in the old trim kit is 22 X 11 high. The large cutout in the plywood is 22 1/2 x 15 inches high. Biggest problem seems to be depth of 15 inches before the steel curve at the back (measured from the face of the plywood). This is in a 1999 24RB.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Dallas Baillio

Re: 1999 RB Microwave replacement

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Your measurements of your microwave cabinet are the same as mine in my 2001 26 RSB. I replaced my microwave with a Highpointe model nrmccain had written about.

Here is the link.

https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... ave#p33546

mccain did have a problem with the convection function but solved it. I added a muffin fan to exhaust heat when using the convection function.

I removed the metal risers shown in the photo. The Highpointe was an easy fit requiring no modification of the cabinet.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
tanksalot

Post by tanksalot »

Thanks! I decided to order that unit. Think the muffin fan is really necessary, or just more peace of mind?
Also, no problem with depth? We full time (no workshop, table saw etc.). What did you encounter with height?

Appreciate the feedback!
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

There is plenty of depth and no height problem. It can be done while on the road with just basic tools. I did not have any help so my major problem was finding a way to get it partially in the cabinet at an angle to take the weight off my arms while I plugged the power cord into the AC outlet. I installed it without modification to the existing wood blocks. I did then, and still do now, have some concern about road vibration damage. I made a 20 day trip to New Mexico last October/November without any problems.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”