Inspection of Used Born Free Before Purchase

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

coloradolion

Inspection of Used Born Free Before Purchase

Post by coloradolion »

Next weekend I am scheduled to fly to the East Coast to pick up a 2001 (chassis)/2002(coach) BF 26'RB and drive it back to Colorado, provided it passes my final inspection. Since I have not owned a BF before, I'd be interested in learning from other owners what I should pay particular attention to during the inspection.

ps: This forum has really been helpful in helping me decide on a Born Free. Thanks!

Dave
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Dave;

Where on the East coast are you picking it up? From a dealer or a private sale?

John
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Dave -- I wouldn't expect any problems in the part of the coach that Born Free builds -- if it has an electric awning I would check out the awning and how it works -- trust it will meet your approval and we will see you at a BF rally -- check out the rally at Paso Robles , Ca --
coloradolion

Post by coloradolion »

I'm picking it up from a private individual in North Carolina.
Regards,
Dave
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

While you are going in the right direction by buying a BF, these coaches are still subject to problems seem on other brands of trailers and motorhomes as most of the appliances and and fittings are commonly used throughout the industry. They may be assembled better by
Dodgen Industries, but they are still subject to similair problems as other brands. I suggest you log on to the Open Roads Forum sponsored by Motorhome magazine at the link below. Use the search function and enter "PDI Checklist". I just did and got 123 entries, many of them with pointers to detailed checklists that have been experience tested by others. Even if the checklist is for a travel trailer, most of the appliances/systems are the same as far as checking them for proper function.

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/cforum/index.cfm
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Dave;

In addition to the basics like making sure all the appliances, heater, etc. work, check the windows to make sure there were no leaks and that the shades work properly and no broken strings. Is it winterized?

Also mechanically, do they have service records?
might want to ask for a local mechanic or Ford dealer to have it checked out and fluids changed. The tires are probably original, and may have to be replaced soon. Since you are facing a long ride home, you want to be safe.

Might want to look into getting a road service contract before you leave home. I recommend Coach Net, based on experience.

Good luck with your purchase.

John
Mel Wilbur

used Born Free

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Dave, We also have a 2002 26RB (on a 2001 chassis) with 64K on the odometer and are looking forward to the next 64k. With proper chassis maintenace and some TLC these coaches are like the energizer bunny.

What a super Christmas gift, best of luck.
Mel & Connie
whemme

Problem Checklist When Buying Used Born Free Motorcoach

Post by whemme »

Dave,

You don't indicate in your post whether you are a previously experienced motorcoach owner or not. You can follow the advice that others have already posted above. I will add my experience below. I previously owned a 1999 Born Free 24' Rear Bath motorcoach that I purchased new from the factory and owned for 5 years and 55,000 miles.

Due to my wife wanting a permanent rear bed, two years ago I located used 2002 Born Free 26' Rear Side Bed motorcoach with only 7145 miles on it located in CA owned by a couple wanting to sell - we are located in IA. Due to the large distance between us, and based on my prior ownership experience, I prepared a detailed pre-purchase inspection checklist of systems to checkout when I arrived there.

My experience was this, this coach checked out OK on every item on that checklist. I decided to buy it and then discovered on the way home problems that I did not even think to put on the checklist. So my experience is this; you probably will not be able to check and catch all of the potential and not obvious problems that may be hidden in a used coach.

Two problems that I missed were:

a) The gray water tank leaked out of the top filler pipe connection when filled clear to the top - who would think to check this on a pre-purchase inspection? How this problem happened is a puzzle since I don't think it could have been caused by freezing since they lived where it never got that cold
b) Remember the very low 7145 miles that were on this 3-year old coach? Well both Interstate SRM-27 coach batteries were toast due to lack of owner maintenance.

So, my advice is to do as through a pre-purchase inspection as you can think up but don't be surprised if you miss a few items.

Bill
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
springerbill

Check list

Post by springerbill »

We purchased an 02 26' RB a couple of years ago. I was unable to go to Florida from Oklahoma to take delivery, so my wife and her sister went. I made a Check List for my wife to take with her and follow before completing the acquisition. I will email you a copy of the list if you will post your email address, or you can call me at 405.273.3280.

If you aren't already a member of Leap'n Lions we would welcome you to join the club. We have in excess of 500 members nationwide. The club is very active with rallies and caravans.

Much success in your purchase of the BF.

Bill Lyon
coloradolion

Post by coloradolion »

Thanks to all for the very helpful responses. This seems like a great group. In answer to some queries:
-I certainly do intend to send in my membership application and join the group. Also look forward to meeting many of you down the road.
-I currently own a Hallmark popup pickup camper on a 2000 Chevy Silverado. It's been great. The only problem is that there is no room for grandkids. That the reason for the Born Free.
-I'll look at the checklists. They should be very helpful.
-The current owner has winterized the unit, but I'll need to at least set up to use the fresh water system on the way back. I've been looking at posts regarding winterizing. I do have a question about the fresh water system. Should I be concerned about the fresh water system, including the water pump, from freezing during the trip home? I don't know where the fresh water tank is located or how the water pipes are routed-are they in the walls? If the temp inside the coach remaind warm, will that keep the fresh water system safe?. And, I assume I can leave anti-freeze in the grey and black water tanks to avoid freezing. I probably won't use them much.
Thanks everybody.
Dave
olscow

Post by olscow »

Put your nose into the fridge and give it the old sniff test! Once, years ago, I smelled what I assumed was cleanser the seller had used to clean up the fridge, which was cooling at the time. But not for long. I was smelling ammonia from the cooling unit, which was on its very last legs.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”