How do I replace a shower light?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Hike

How do I replace a shower light?

Post by Hike »

HI, I just had one of my lights in the shower burn out and I can't figure out how to get at the bulb to replace it. Does the white ring just pop off? I don't want to break it trying to figure it out. :( This is in a 2004 26' RB.

Thanks for your help.
norijake

Post by norijake »

On our '04 26RB, the white trim rings rotate counter-clockwise about 20 degrees to loosen and come free. The lens remains with the trim ring.
2004 26' RB
norijake

Post by norijake »

The trim rings can be very tight. Here are a couple of pix showing a trim ring removed and the base to which it attaches. Note the indentions on the base into which the protrusions on the trim ring fit. A small clockwise turn snugs the ring up against the ceiling.
Attachments
Shower Light Trim Ring
Shower Light Trim Ring
image1.jpg (41.53 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
Shower Light Base
Shower Light Base
image0.jpg (42.44 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
2004 26' RB
KTnLen

Post by KTnLen »

These look like the 'puck' accent haolgen lights I had installed beneath my kitchen cabinets, and if so, the bulb has two pins and pulls away from its socket with firm pressure straight out. Do not try to rotate the bulb in its socket or bend it down from the ceiling as the porcelain socket might break.

Also, I strongly recommend you use latex or vinyl medical examination type gloves when handling the bulbs (any bulbs for that matter). Leaving the oils from your fingers on the glass will shorten the life of the bulb.

These bulbs may be purchased at Home Depot, or Lowes, or a good hardware store. Expect to pay anywhere from $3 to $7 each depending on the size. You'll want to shop for physical size, voltage and wattage, so take the old bulb with you to compare before you buy. Some places call these 'curio cabinet bulbs.'
Hike

Post by Hike »

Thanks to both of you. I have the bulb out now and will take it in to get a replacement. Actually I will get 3 because the second one will likely go out soon and then I will have 2 spares for the next time. :D

Good thought on the gloves, I will use some when I put the new one in.

Someone on another forum mentioned that living in an RV rocks. I sure agree tonight. We have a storm going through with high wind gusts. My Born Free is rocking away and I am snug inside enjoying it!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”