Moisture in walls?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

whatjojo

Moisture in walls?

Post by whatjojo »

UPDATE: The moisture issue has been solved!! I removed a strip of paneling on the drivers seat side and found that there's a very thin lining with brown paper on one side and a silver lining on the backside (dry) that is right up against the fiberglass. Whenever I put the moisture meter on it it registered 40-50% moisture, but when I lifted it up the fiberglass was normal. So mystery solved!!

I am going to have to repair a small section there where there was a previous leak. And I'm sure there's some damage I'll need to fix behind the passenger seat when I figure out that leak (just got it back from the shop and it's still leaking 🤨)

I'm planning on replacing the divider screws with stainless steel and see if that does the trick...

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions!!

I've been told my BF 24RB has severe delamination. But in reviewing previous questions on this topic it appears that the fiberglass isn't laminated, so can't "delaminate". Yay!!

However, one side is very wavy and both sides have multiple areas where the skin is bowed out and you can physically push it back in. Also, a moisture meter showed mostly 30-50% moisture on both sides and the back of the RV.

I've had Beatrix for 2 years and have been fighting leaks behind the passenger seat since I bought her. Hopefully it's fixed, but not very hopeful as it's been "fixed" multiple times including being tented a few times... (there was also one behind drivers seat, but it appears to be fixed)

So My questions are:
Is the popping out areas something to worry about?
Is there anyway to double check the moisture readings, other than taking it apart on the inside to verify?
Last edited by whatjojo on Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perleys

Re: Moisture in walls?

Post by perleys »

I see you also posted on the Facebook group but I thought I would reply here. I had an experience similar to Eric Sandstrom was describing. As I understand the fiberglass is connected at the long strip front to back and the top as well as the bottom. On the older Born Free models they didn't use stainless screws to attach the fiberglass to the inside wooden structure. So over time those screws rusted and broke. Allot of my fiberglass had pulled away and it was kind of just "hanging" from the roof! Yikes! I don't do my own repairs so I hired a service tech to redo all the screws and they redid that white tubing that covers them and put on new caulking. At the time they did that I had them boost the storage area for the generator since it had dropped as well. It was an expensive repair. But we will also find if you research comments on one of the potential leak points is where the front cab over attaches to the truck chassis and also the seam where it attaches to the long side walls. Many often talk about leaks at those seams. I have even seem photos where they show the open seams. I think it was on here at viewtopic.php?p=33100&hilit=nose+cone#p33100.
whatjojo

Post by whatjojo »

Hmmm, maybe it is the screws, noone has checked those yet...

I sealed where the cab and coach meet, but it didn't make a difference. Also the side seams, top seams, windows, doors, lights, etc have all been checked and recaulked as needed.

I swear I've looked at every seam on the RV multiple times, and 4-5 RV techs have as well. It's very frustrating! lol

Thanks!
perleys

Post by perleys »

I remember he was going around the coach and marking different areas with blue tape where it had pulled away and it was most of the top and bottom seam. I didn't exactly see what he was doing but probably pushing to see if there was give in and out. Otherwise my fiberglass waslls were/are smooth. I know after it all got fixed it was a lot more quiet with not having sides "flap" going down the highway:). May have mentioned these stainless steel screws but I didn't learn about it until after the repair. My unit is a 2004 26 RSB.
whatjojo

Post by whatjojo »

👍 although mine is actually pretty quiet going down the road. But maybe I'll notice a difference once it's all fixed🤞
stevek

Post by stevek »

Do a pressure test and pressurize the inside of the motorhome. Use soapy water and see where the leaks are at.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
whatjojo

Post by whatjojo »

It's been done 3 times, they couldn't find leak...🤷

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”