Air Conditioner in extreme heat

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

pamster868

Air Conditioner in extreme heat

Post by pamster868 »

Hello!
We're getting ready to take our son to college in Arizona next week. We're worried our AC won't perform well in this extreme heat. Most RV parks in the area are full sun with daytime temps well over 100 degrees. We still have the original Dometic Duo Therm Penguin, 13,500 btu unit. Any tips? Time to buy a new unit? Get a hotel room instead? 😆

Pam
Pam & Jason Krinsky
Frisco, TX
2002 23' RK
perleys

Re: Air Conditioner in extreme heat

Post by perleys »

A big thing to consider that an RV air conditioner only drops the temperature about 20 degrees from the temperature of the air going in. It reduces humidity of course but can't do too much more on actual temperature. If you air conditioner is working than getting a new unit probably won't help. When I am going to be in higher temperatures I am sure to put my cover that goes over the front windshield and side windows. I also have what what is bubble foil insulation panels that I put over the window as well. Try for any trees is you are lucky and put the awning out. I have some regular small fans that help it to feel cooler. I find that air conditioned 80 air on the inside is not terrible. Hopefully you won't be in it all day and more in the evening when hopefully the temps drop. Congratulations to your son!
pamster868

Re: Air Conditioner in extreme heat

Post by pamster868 »

Thanks for the tips! I think we will leave the RV at home and get a hotel room. Phoenix is just too scorching hot right now. We would rather take the RV there during the winter months when the weather is nice.
Pam & Jason Krinsky
Frisco, TX
2002 23' RK

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”