Onan 4k carb removal and teplacement

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

swjones214

Onan 4k carb removal and teplacement

Post by swjones214 »

I have a 2000 24RB, with a non-functional generator. It turns over, but won’t start. Upon further investigation last night, I found that the gas line has been severed and the vacuum line to the choke has also rotted and broken off. Not to worry, I already had purchased a new carb. The carb throat bolts are nearly impossible to reach; tried for an hour last night, got nowhere, and I’m pretty limber. Now the question is, can the carb be removed without dropping the genny? Anyone have any tricks for removal? And how about dropping the genny? Any suggestions there? I’m a little frustrated, but just a little. All in all, its a really good RV, was very well taken care of, this is the first zinger I’ve found. Thx!!
Attachments
Genset ID plate
Genset ID plate
IMG_1080.jpeg (234.58 KiB) Viewed 656 times
cmeadows

Re: Onan 4k carb removal and teplacement

Post by cmeadows »

Ours is the same vintage but is propane instead of gasoline. I put a starter in it. Using a floor jack, I dropped the genny front letting it pivot at the rear. I don't remember for sure, but there are 2 bolts near the front bottom corners that allow it to swing down. I did not have to disconnect wires to drop it. I let it set on blocks of wood to keep it from swinging down all the way which would have put strain on the wires. This should give you enough room to work on the carb. You might check the owner's manuals section on this site for an Onan service manual.
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”