Need Info on awning ‘08 RSB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

ebaron

Need Info on awning ‘08 RSB

Post by ebaron »

We have a 2008 27’ RSB. Never had an awning. The lower factory bent brackets for awning , specific to the BF curved body, were discontinued several years ago. I happened to see an earlier BF model recently with awning, and have decided to just modify a new set of brackets myself. Cut & weld. Dealer prefer not to install as they don’t have the experience with BF, plus with my modification, they don’t take on any liability. However, they were very helpful. What I need to know is where on the body the awning is secured at the top. Both height, or distance from top seam, width ( center to center distance of brackets) and how far from the vertical seam. I’d like to go for a full width awning, approximately 16 ft.Details on lower mounting point would also be helpful.

If you have an awning on your RSB of 2008 or similar vintage, I’d greatly appreciate any pictures and measurements of the mounting points, and any other info you may have, Dealer recommended going with just a manual awning, mainly due to mounting and how current units are configured. But I think if you have an automatic or manual, it will tell me where the correct BF mounting points are.

Thanks in advance for the help. I’d be happy to share my modification and install experience once done. I’ll need to get an aluminum spool gun for my welder, so I may be able to modify some brackets in future if there is anyone out there in my situation needing them.
Ed
2008 27RSB
John S.

Re: Need Info on awning ‘08 RSB

Post by John S. »

I will look but mine is a 2015 and an automatic awning. My 07 was manual like you are saying but I do not own that one any longer to check
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
ebaron

Post by ebaron »

Thanks John. Not sure how close our coaches are but any info is appreciated. Will save me time from removing items to look for proper mounting area. I’m going to need to start chasing down similar coaches soon.
Ed
2008 27RSB
bbwolf

Post by bbwolf »

Ed, did you get your Awnings with Bent arm issue resolved? I am actually trying to locate an Awning with Bent Arms to replace my Dometic Cassette Awning originally installed by Born Free.

ebaron wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:48 am We have a 2008 27’ RSB. Never had an awning. The lower factory bent brackets for awning , specific to the BF curved body, were discontinued several years ago. I happened to see an earlier BF model recently with awning, and have decided to just modify a new set of brackets myself. Cut & weld. Dealer prefer not to install as they don’t have the experience with BF, plus with my modification, they don’t take on any liability. However, they were very helpful. What I need to know is where on the body the awning is secured at the top. Both height, or distance from top seam, width ( center to center distance of brackets) and how far from the vertical seam. I’d like to go for a full width awning, approximately 16 ft.Details on lower mounting point would also be helpful.

If you have an awning on your RSB of 2008 or similar vintage, I’d greatly appreciate any pictures and measurements of the mounting points, and any other info you may have, Dealer recommended going with just a manual awning, mainly due to mounting and how current units are configured. But I think if you have an automatic or manual, it will tell me where the correct BF mounting points are.

Thanks in advance for the help. I’d be happy to share my modification and install experience once done. I’ll need to get an aluminum spool gun for my welder, so I may be able to modify some brackets in future if there is anyone out there in my situation needing them.
Alan and Jeannie Wolfe
2014 Born Free Freedom
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

morning I have a 2008. 22’. Rear door, how can I help. It is up for sale on this site. Take a look at my pictures to see if you think it is applicable ". Contact me on my email. Gsboley@gmail.com as I find that easier to work with. Best
George Boley
Knowledge will never be lost, provided it is shared

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”