Generators on Propane

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bogiesmom

Generators on Propane

Post by Bogiesmom »

For those of you that have diesel engines, how has been the performance of the generators using propane? Has there been any difficulty in starting in cold or warm weather? What issues have you found in fuel usage with the cooking, water heater, and gen set all using this same fuel? How often do you find yourself having to refill the propane tank? Any difficulties while out on the road in finding a source of propane to refill the tank?
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

greetings -- I have the propane generator and have not had any problems -- I have run it in Alaska and the Southern California desert and never had a problem -- as to propane usage - the generator uses very little propane and with the large propane tank I find that I fill it up about once a year out of habit -- we use our electric portable heater as much as we can and use the micro for cooking -- if you would boon-dock a lot and run the generator a lot you of course would have to fill the tank more often -- safe travels -- Bob Newby --- PS I never have had a problem finding propane on the road - many RV parks have it and many fuel stations also have it
CANDE

Generators on Propane

Post by CANDE »

We hve a 7.3 diesel engine in our '97 BF 24 RB so that mandated a propane generator. We choose a Kohler Generator because if has full pressure oil lubrication - the full pressure one is recommended.

We have 188K miles on the unit and the generator has 660 hours. The Kohler generator still runs well and will supply electricity to the microwave and heat strip (or air conditioner) simultaneously and will also handle some small load, ie: the inverter, GPS. laptop computer. This is about 75% load under this type of operation, it will use 2 gallons per hour. Full Load it will use 3 to 4 gallons per hour. Generator is rated at 33 Amps or 4000 Watts. It burns no oil so the rings and bearings must be in good shape.

The maintenance has been oil & filter changes every 50 hours (with propane buring much cleaner than gasoline, the oil comes out about as clean as it went in.) and one set of spark plugs (not to hard to change, but you do have to lower the generator).

I never have had to adjust or clean the carburetor . I changed the spark plaugs at 400 hours, but they still look good except for the gap.

Ed and Carol Freye
Sheboygan, WI
Ed and Carol Freye
2016 Born Free 29' Splendor
Towing a 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”