What would you do differently if you ordered......

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bogiesmom

What would you do differently if you ordered......

Post by Bogiesmom »

We are headed to the factory next week to see these wonderful units in person, so to speak, on our way to the Minneapolis RV Show. Just wondered if anyone had thoughts on what they wished they had ordered, what they would do differently, what fixes have you had to do that could have been avoided if you only ordered this at the factory, etc.

We are very interested in the BFT or possibly the 24 foot. We presently have another brand 25 foot with slide, and are wanting to downsize somewhat to make it easier to travel in heavy city traffic, ease in parking when visiting our children in other areas of the country, etc. for the two of us plus a Basset Hound.
Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I bought my 25RSB off the lot, but I did have the factory add a CB antenna and an awning over the couch window. We like to be able to leave the windows open and not worry about rain.

If we had ordered it I would have eliminated the carpet and had tile throughout.

I'll probably think of some more items also.

John
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

the 24 ft rear bath unit is a great coach -- I'd get them the move the door to the closet in the bath towards the rear of the coach so that you can reach the clothes in back -- I did and am glad I did -- it eliminates one of the upper cabinets over the sink but I the built a med cabinet where the standart door is and it is great !! -- the clothes rod where you access the clothes closet from near the rear door was placed cross/wise and makes access to those clothes very easy -- the rod at the back of the closet was left front to back -- you will love the Born Free coach and the factory really stands behind their product --
Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

In the BFT, I would add (2) 12 volt outlets, one where they have the phone connection (we will never use that connection) and one in the front cabinet near the TV. I would also go with tile throughout. Throw rugs would work much better.
Brent

Post by Brent »

I would:
1. Do tile through out and skip the carpet.
2. Get a CB antenna installed.
3. Get an inverter hard wired.
4. Get the wiring configured so a switch can be turned so the radio can be played off of the coach batteries.
5. Get the wiring configured so a switch can be turned on to start the engine from the coach batteries.
6. Get a solar panel installed (maybe 85-100watt)
7. Get a Onan generator not a Gen.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Dallas Baillio

What would you do differently...

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Somewhere on the web pages for this forum is a subject dealing with things owners would like to see in a new Born Free. There were several postings and many good thoughts. I looked for the thread, but could not find it. Perhaps someone else can find it and give a bit of direction to which page it is on and exactly how it is titled.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
KTnLen

Re: What would you do differently...

Post by KTnLen »

Dallas Baillio wrote:Somewhere on the web pages for this forum is a subject dealing with things owners would like to see in a new Born Free. There were several postings and many good thoughts. I looked for the thread, but could not find it. Perhaps someone else can find it and give a bit of direction to which page it is on and exactly how it is titled.
Yeah, that thread started last summer, and can be found at: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... .php?t=537

Len C. sends
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

We have the 2005 BFT and bought it off the lot so I don't know what they come with now. I had the dealer install an awning at delivery and we use it a lot. I would have the Winegard batwing TV antenna installed vice the rabbit ears. I'd also have a cover installed over the Fantastic Fan and skip the rain sensor. The sensor seems to let a lot of rain in before it closes and you can't open/run it during rainy periods whereas a cover lets you open and run the fan during rainy days. I'd have a shelf installed in the cubby below the sink. I'd swap the handles on the storage compartment doors beneath the twin beds for recessed fittings to avoid ankle knockers. I'd have them make up and install an extension shelf for the counter by the stove and a wooden grate for the shower floor. I'd also have them install a second sewer hose carrier on the passenger side. A locking latch on the gas tank fill line would be handy as would a short curtain to pull across the rear door window. A photoelectric fire alarm instead of the ionic type saves taking the battery out whenever you use the stove....but you probably won't talk them into installing it for liability reasons. I don't know if the refer they use comes as a 3 way (propane/AC/DC) but if you have qualms about running the refer when traveling, having it run on DC will ease your qualms. I also suggest replacing the bulbs in the storage compartment lights with LEDs (which run cool) as someone earlier posted about almost having a fire when they inadvertantly left a light on. There are probably many other little things, like a second fire extinguisher and a fresh water filter which you can buy and install easily. We love our BFT and find it very easy to drive around in the city. We haven't driven a 24' or 26' unit but have never had a problem with trucks on the highway either....and we had a brand X before this that was much harder to handle.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I had a lot of 'upgrades' done on my coach when I was in Iowa last summer, so many of the suggestions noted here I've already had installed. (I bought mine 'gently' used). However, if I were buying new I would definitely have the inverter installation done. I would also check to see if there were some way they could insulate the floor/undercarriage areas during assembly. I had my ceiling 'buttoned' in order to avoid the carpet like covering on the ceiling from coming loose & 'sagging', which I like the appearance of very much. A 3-way frig (for me) would be a must as I'm familiar with same & they are convenient. Linoleum or tile throughout would surely be better & easier to keep clean, etc. than carpet!
When I go back to Iowa...I'm planning on having the big TV now installed in my Entertainment center removed, and having the new TV with tilt-up cabinet door installed. Regardless of the 'changes' or 'upgrades' many of us complete in our BF, the fact is we're driving a finely built RV...In other words...it's got good 'bones'....so anything you individually do to your own BF is just putting 'icing on the cake'!! :wink:

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”