Retiring to a cab over bed?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Greg/Linda. We have the swivel table in the BFT and have loved it. We tried to order the same for the 24, but it is no longer available. Born Free now offers a small table that one dismantles and stows when it is not in use. We were quite skeptical until we saw one and noted how easily they assemble and how little space they take when stored. We ordered the 24 with two of them. That will give us seating for four should we need it. As I mentioned earlier, having the twin inclining beds with the additional storage under the left bed gives us more than enough storage space for anything we might need. :)
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

I like the sound of the small tables that store, plus the twin beds. If our rig ever wears out that would be a great option for us. I'm always planning for the next move, but the reality is - we may never get this coach completely used up! That does not mean that we couldn't re-arrange the furniture a bit in this coach. I will definitely keep all this in mind!
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Greg/Linda. As you may know, Born Free will reconfigure the interior to the twin inclining beds. It does provide increased storage as one then has all the space under both beds available. The one thing Born Free cannot do is provide outside access for the storage under the left bed. Something to do with reinforcement of the fiberglas body, but that is the only drawback. Steve W
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Steve, I like the idea of the reclining twin beds too. Do you know if one can be outfitted with at least one seat belt?

Judy Harris
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Judy. Born Free is installing two seat belts in our 24. One for each of the inclining beds. Obviously, the belts will be installed on that end of the bed that does not incline. As far as the inclining mechanism, Born Free lets the owner decide which end of the bed inclines.
Bogiesmom

Post by Bogiesmom »

Does anyone know if the seat belts can be put in the BFT with the reclining beds? Our BFT is on order, waiting for 07 chassis, and this is something we would like to have added. We didn't think to ask this when we ordered. One of those great tips and things you learn on this awesome forum.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

The factory added 3 seat belts to the couch in my RSB so thys should be able to add them to a BFT.

We needed them for the few occassions when we take the grandkids along for a weekend.

John
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Bogiesmom wrote:Does anyone know if the seat belts can be put in the BFT with the reclining beds? .
While it may be physically possible to install the seat belts, I doubt if you will find anyone to do it aftermarket. Your best bet is to ask BF to do it. You could try searching the Open Roads and Escapees forums on the subject for aftermarket sources but I've seen the question asked on other forums about installing seat belts as an aftermarket item and I've never seen any positive replies where people have found an aftermarket vendor. Its more to do with the liability issues surrounding the proper installation than the technical difficulty. You could also go to a junk yard yourself and get some belts/anchors and install them yourself. I'd be careful to anchor them to something other than the wooden floor of the BFT as you want it to hold in an emergency and it would likely pull through the plywood floor if that was the only anchor point. You might ask the factory where they would anchor them.
Bogiesmom

Post by Bogiesmom »

Dave & Jan: We weren't going to do this ourselves. Our BFT is on order at the factory, and we just wondered if anyone had them in their BFT and if it was an option we could check into. Hubby is checking with the factory today to see about adding that to the list of things we want done.
Thanks!!
robert

Sleeping Arrangements

Post by robert »

I have a 24RB and it has sofa bed one one side and twin bed on the other.
I have storage in the cab over with doors.

To make the sofa bed somewhat more comfortable, I purchased a piece of foam that is placed on the "back" side of the open bed, which brings it just about even with the "seat" portion of the open bed. On top of that I put a foam topper which eliminate the cracks. It ends upbing a pretty comfortable bed.

There is room between the beds to allow one person to get up without distrubing the other person.

During the day, the two pieces of foam are rolled up and stored in the cab over area. There is plenty of room and we have other bedding stored there plus winter type clothing, etc. We use the plastic pull out drawers that you can get at Target that come in their own frame.

We might add that we have five or six of these same plastic draws in the underbed storage area. I have one ot two facing outwards (acess from the outside) where I keep tools, etc. I have three or so facing inside where we store pots/pans, can food, clothing, etc.

We do not eat big meals in the BF, in that we eat a light breakfast, and a light evening meal (sandwich/soup). We eat out big meal of the day out.

I tried the swing out table, and it was a flop. It was always in the way, it was never level, and it had a tendency to move and rattle when you were driving. I removed the swingout table, and purchased a single set of foldout legs (available at Camping World). I used the table top provided by BF. When not in use, it come apart and it is nicely stored behind the drivers seat and in front of the sofa.

One of the problems with BF is that they do not suggest any modifications. You have to know what special items you want when you place your order.

You can order the table legs here:
http://www.dyersonline.com/pc-2546-28-porta-leggs.aspx
Attachments
porta leg base.jpg
porta leg base.jpg (6.97 KiB) Viewed 16032 times
karls

Post by karls »

We sleep cross ways in the cab over of our 24 RB. I sleep toward the front and so nocturnal calls of nature (age 70) require tricky maneuvering to get safely down the ladder.

I've often thought that a cab over with twin beds on either side and a center ladder would be the answer. Now that I've read this thread I see that Mel knows someone who had the factory install this configuration.

We think the space saving arrangement of the cab over bed is worth it, but a center ladder between two twin beds would make it perfect.

Karl Striedieck
Ray'n Mary

Winter Camping

Post by Ray'n Mary »

Your question about winterizing doesn't seem to have received replies. We are new owners of a 22' BFT and have done some winter camping, and been wondering about the water issue too (e.g., tank warmers, etc.)

Meanwhile, we've coped pretty well simply by keeping the rig winterized. We do use the toilet (keeping plenty of antifreeze in the blackwater tank, but use the sink or lavatory drains only rarely. For water we have a gallon-size port able plastic tank that has a spigot, and carry along extra gallon or two in jugs. That said, our trips are short--tho sweet!--for skiing up in the Cascades. But must add that we do look forward to when we can dewinterize!
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

We have a 26'RB with one "hospital" type bed and the "cab over" configureation. One point that should be mentioned (about all the storage space gained under the beds) you will not get as much "usable" space as you think. The mechanism that raises and lowers one end of the bed prodrudes down into the storage area.
True, with diligent packing you can still get a lot in there, but I mention it so you will be forwarned.
I would suggest that if you are seriously considering the "hopital" twin bed, that you look at a rig that has one to see if the mechanism is going to take up more storage room than you want to sacrifice. In our case, we would do it again as the wife likes to read and or wath the TV with the head raised (we have the actuator working the end of the bed furest from the TV.)
MJBear

sleeping arrangements

Post by MJBear »

Great info and discussion, lots of options. Has anyone seen the cabover twin option? Are they made longer on each side to get enough length to sleep feet forward? I'd love to know more about that.
To Mike and Jean
[quote] We had the factory configure 2 folding sofas instead of the rear side bed and salon sofa.
Do I understand that you had a sofa installed where the rear bed was? I've wondered if a sofa or dinette could be put there instead of the bed.
Also thanks for info on a diesel, since we are considering that option.
As for winter camping - our thoughts are to have insulation blown over the holding tanks (foam) after installing the heating pads. Anyone done that?
Mike Jean Bandfield

Re: sleeping arrangements

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

MJBear wrote:Do I understand that you had a sofa installed where the rear bed was? I've wondered if a sofa or dinette could be put there instead of the bed.

As for winter camping - our thoughts are to have insulation blown over the holding tanks (foam) after installing the heating pads. Anyone done that?
Yes, we have a folding sofa where the RSB normally resides. It folds down the same as the salon sofa and leaves a 4" gap between the folded down sofa and the bathroom wall. The trade-off is a smaller rear storage compartment and the loss of a heating duct to the bathroom (neither is a concern or bother to us). The furnace and water heater are still under the sofa so I can't see how a dinette would be viable in this space.

Re: Freezing temps:
We don't heat our tanks but carry a gallon of antifreeze to pour in the tanks in case we are threatened with a particularly hard freeze. If it gets into the low 20s over night but still gets up into the 40s during the day we don't bother.

The driver's rear corner in the RSB has water lines that are quite vulnerable to freezing. I was going to wrap these lines with electrical heating wire but as I was considering the complications the task posed I gave up and took a different approach. I purchased a temperature controlled switch at the local building supply store. It switches on at 35 degrees and off at 45. The switch controls a 200W light bulb we placed in the rear compartment. It works quite well. It was coming on nearly every night in January :!: (the shower glows softly from the light behind it).

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”