Seeing what is over the next hill

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

My wife and I love to travel. If we had the money, we would probably be away from "home" 8-10 months of the year. Fly or drive, we like to get out and see how the world looks elsewhere and how those who live in these places live. I see my Born Free as a means to achieve the travel I like to do. I'm not interested in it as a status symbol, or as an investment that I have to maintain in pristine condition. I do make a special effort to keep it clean and road worthy, but I intend to put miles on it enjoying myself without worrying about potential damage or risking my investment. I've got insurance and if the BF is destroyed, I'll either get another, or go on to something else that meets my needs. We've put about 10,000 miles per year on our BF and would put more if we had the opportunity. We've traveled to all 50 states, all the Canadian provinces and to 7 or 8 other foreign destinations. I do believe in maintaining my vehicles, my home and all my possessions, but only to make them last as long as possible so that I get my money's worth.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
jhillis625

Post by jhillis625 »

Dallas & Jimmie, thanks! I couldn't have said it that well myself.
Enjoy your travels.
Jim Hillis
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

Did you travel to those 7 or 8 foreign destinations in your BF? That is our intention when we retire.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

In my haste I misspoke! As soon as I hit the send key I knew I had not made myself clear! No, we did not travel to a foreign country (other than Canada (and that's not very "foreign") in our BF. We had to fly. I have read of American's taking their motorhome to Europe, and of Europeans coming here with their motorhome. It sounds like a great adventure, but I think I would rather rent a MH designed for European roads and use. We met an American Family in York, England once that had rented a motorhome and were touring Great Britain. We were in a pub and the motorhome was parked right outside on a very narror city street. I had enough difficultly driving a rented car on the left side of the road, let along trying it in a motorhome!!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Dallas,

Yours is a good philosophy. Kinda reminds me of how my dad taught me. You buy the best tools (or whatever it is you need) that will *do the job* you need it for (not impress the neighbors, do the job) and take very good care of them so they last as long as possible.

I treat my born free the same way, as much as possible. In good working order, but I didn't buy it to impress people. I bought it because it's functional, and quality enough to be serviceable for a long time. I've gotten a few more miles per year but slowed down this year so maybe it will average out.

I guess I just started to ramble. I lke your philosophy. Also doing whatever I can myself, but that's not as much as I'd like, for purely physical reasons. We do what we can. It's a nice tool. I think I'll set my sights on mexico next year.

Trisha

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”