Crud in the fresh water tank

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ann P

Post by Ann P »

Now I know how bad the water is in Arizona. I had a RV tech that I trust (thru the Life on Wheels conf.) clean out my water heater in March. I've been full-timing in my BF since late Oct., and he used a wand to clean out 4 months of Arizona calcium deposits from the heater tank. Big gobs of white chunks. He said it should be done twice a year. I only used the water heater 2 or 3x week, for washing dishes since I don't shower in the coach , but of course the water gets stored in the tanks.

So now it seems the fresh water lines & tank must be gummed up from the same caliche-laden water, my souvenir from Yuma and Quartzsite. I'm now in a park that has good artesian water that tests very well from the tap, using my water purity meter. But when it comes out of my coach faucet, it tests at dangerous levels...even tho I have a brand new water filter on the outside faucet. How can I fix this?

A workcamper here suggested putting white vinegar in the hose, then shoot that & water into the tank from the inlet outside, then drain the grey water. Could also put a gallon of vinegar into the tank and drive the coach to slosh it. Does anybody have a better idea or any experience with this? I need to deal with this now. Thanks!
Brent

Post by Brent »

Ann,
I'm always concerned about tank water quality too, as I use it for my drinking water.

A couple of suggestions, I think the testing is a good idea, I do it also.

1. You can put a solution of vinegar and water in your tank, drive it awhile let it set over night and drive it again, then drain it. It will help, I don't know how bad the build up is in your tank but you may have to try it more then once. I don't know if it's true - but I've heard that by overdoing this method the vinegar may cause some of the rubber seals to deteriorate over time.

2. There is a device call Aqua Saver (google it). It is designed to fit on your water tank and it is a door into the tank that allows you to open it for serious cleaning. I've not used it myself. This theoretically would allow you to get inside the tank to clean the tank, but you would have to depend on the vinegar solution rinses for the water lines.

Good luck
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

What kind/type of water purity tester do you have and where did you get it? Sounds like a good thing to have. Also, have you been using any sort of water filter on water entering your coach?
Ann P

Post by Ann P »

The digital water purity tester is a great thing to have . I found out about it from a class at Life on Wheels. It's made by IntelliTec, and I got it at Camping World for about $25. The CW catalog has it on sale now. ( what I really want is the Winegard batwing antenna that's on sale!)

I always use an outside water filter on the park faucets. Have a brand new Taste Pure RV filter and the water tests fine out of that, but it's crap from my kitchen faucet, pardon my French. I'll give the vinegar idea a try, thanks.
Dallas Baillio

crud in water tank

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I don't mean to be a Devil's Advocate so often, but my experience is so very different that I want to let others know. I've traveled in an RV since 1973 and in all that time I have always drunk the water from my "fresh water tank." It hasn't affected me (unless you think my "au contraire" view point is caused by bad water -- could be!!). I guess I am taking a chance, but in over 150,000 miles of RV travel I haven't had an infection or illness that can be attributed to water consumption. In the last two years I've used a cheap inline filter to fill my tank, but I've about decided that it can harbor as many germs and viruses after a few uses, as the direct water supply.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dave&JanPotter

Re: crud in water tank

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Dallas Baillio wrote: In the last two years I've used a cheap inline filter to fill my tank, but I've about decided that it can harbor as many germs and viruses after a few uses, as the direct water supply.
The Camco inline filter is treated to prevent the growth of things in it during periods of non-use and should last the length of the RV season. I've been happy with them for the last two years.

Also mixing one half cup of baking soda in a gallon of water, adding it to the water tank and then filling the tank will take the chlorine taste out of the system after hypochlorinating it as Sam said above. Just did it today in preparation for going out this weekend. Works like a champ.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”