Outdoor Grills--Electric vs LPG/propane?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ray'n Mary

Outdoor Grills--Electric vs LPG/propane?

Post by Ray'n Mary »

With summer approaching, we want to get a small, easy-to-store grill for occasional use. Most we've seen, at campgrounds and RV parks, are gas (usually using a small LPG or propane canister). But wouldn't an electric be handier (and potentially safer)?? We usually stop at places w/ power hookups, but if not we could use our generator for the short time it takes to grill something for just the two of us.

Suggestions anyone?
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

The Cobb grill is the only one we would recommend ~~ http://www.cobbamerica.com/

Easy to store ~ sit it on any surface ~ and only 8 – 10 charcoal briquettes for three hours of cooking ~ we make up sandwich Ziploc bags with 10 briquettes, a fire starter and a small piece of smoking wood, before our trips (can fit 15 to 20 bags in a shoe box), and simply pull out a bag when we want to BBQ ~~
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

We use a cast aluminum (strong, but light weight) propane gas grill manufactured by Grillware and sold by Lowes. Costs about $50, and the lid locks and legs fold (making it appear like a small suitcase), so it is easy to transport and store. It uses a porcelain coated flavor bar to catch (and burn) the drippings (no stone briquets), and the grill grate itself is also porcelain coated, so it cleans easily. Even if it gets gunked up over time, it is cheap to replace.

You can see this BBQ grill here: http://tinyurl.com/2neecy

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Taobeemr

Post by Taobeemr »

After many years of lugging around propane grills, I now use an electric George Foreman Grill - place it on a table under the awning, and plug it in.
Stores easily- no fuss, no muss. :D
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

We have a Coleman LP grill that fits in one of the compartments. I have an adapter to run it on either disposible cylinders or on our larger LP tank we take along.

I am not crazy about the grill but it does cook fast but does have some hot spots and the legs on the unit are a bit narrow so one has to be careful it does not tip over on uneven ground. Otherwise, it does the job and we will continue to use it until it dies. Then we will go with a Weber gas grill.
whemme

George Foreman Grill

Post by whemme »

We also use a George Foreman electric grill. We use it both inside and outside of our BF coach. We like it because we don't have to fool around with any LP cylinders, is easy to clean and also easy to store. We own two different sizes - one small one big enough to cook two hamburgers and the other one big enough to cook four hamburgers. Either one easily stores in one of the BF's upper cabinets.
Attachments
George Foreman Grill - Opened.jpg
George Foreman Grill - Opened.jpg (20.44 KiB) Viewed 19535 times
George Foreman Grill - Closed.jpg
George Foreman Grill - Closed.jpg (10.07 KiB) Viewed 19535 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Ray'n Mary

Grills

Post by Ray'n Mary »

Thank everyone for all the info!
Ray'n Mary
Brent

Post by Brent »

Can you use the Foreman for any thing that wouldn't work with the top covering it - maybe veggies?
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I don't think so on the Foreman Grill with the cover open. The cover heats up just as hot as the bottom. Too dangerous.

I use a George Foreman Grill because it's just me and it's way too much hassle to grill out for just one, most of the time.

Charcoal grills are a no-no any time you're in a red-flag zone for fire danger. All of northern Minnesota would have been off limits to you up until yesterday! Only propane and electric.

Something to think about. It's not lush and green everywhere you go...some places, red flag zones and fire restrictions are very commonplace. You don't want to be limited to no cooking by grill in such cases, good to have a backup if you're relying on any kind of fire. Or you could be eating coldcuts.

We had a large fire in Northern Minnesota that got nearly zero press while all the Florida/Georgia fires were being mentioned nightly. The Canadian section of our 'ham lake' fire, also known as the Gunflint Trail fire... is still burning, as far as I know.

The American side was nearly a hundred thousand acres. Not insginficant.

Check on http://www.nifc.gov/ for up to date unformation on wildfires anywhere in the US. All large fire incidents have daily updates. Many have photos. It's how I check out what and where before I travel, or when my friends/relatives are in threatened areas. (I grew up in So. California and was nearly burned out twice.) Evacuated and lost neighbor's homes both times.

Consider where you're going when you consider what to buy for a grill.

Trisha
tedelman

Another Forman Grill and a happy camper

Post by tedelman »

I purchased a George Forman Gas grill and love it ($54 @ Kole's) ! I full time for 4-5 months a year boondocking. The grill works better than the gas grill I cook on at home (~$350). Sometimes the top doesn't seem to fit great but it doesn't seem to affect its cooking results. I also mounted two 20# tanks on the passenger side rear bumper on one of those trailer like base's with a zippered cover. I use a gas hose from a tank to my grill and now I've plenty of house gas for my fridge and heater. I also hook up my old Coleman butane stove with a gas adapter and cook everything else mostly outdoors. I hate the cooking smells linguring in the RV and the vapors messing up the inside of the rig. I feel safe with the added tanks in back because I mostly tow a toad which protects the RV from a possible rear crash disaster. I'm a happy camper with my upgrade and FYI.
tom e
'92 - 26' RB
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

We use a small propane gas grill that we bought on sale at Camping World. The electric wouldn't work for us as well because we frequently camp in national parks and forests where there are no electrical hookups. We could start the generator to use an electric grill, but the hours of operation for generators vary from park to park and wouldn't always give us the flexibility to cook when we wanted to. Charcoal probably produces the best tasting food, but propane was my husband's choice and since he does the grilling outside, I'm not going to quibble. Anything I can do to move cooking duties outside the tiny kitchen to be performed by someone other than me is a winner in my book! :lol:
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I am still considering buying a gas grill. Sometimes the George Foreman grill is ideal, but I, too, like to boondock without electricity and a gas grill would make more sense. When there is fire dangers and restrictions, you can usually still use gas. Charcoal no.

I'm getting hungry...hmmm...for something grilled.

Trish
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Linda, you crack me up. Actually, outdoor grilling doesn't seem like such a chore when you have an ample supply of 2-buck chuck merlot on hand. Ha!

Are we going to see you and Greg at the Colorado Rally again this year?

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

Bill, we splurged on the "4 buck Chuck" when we were in California this spring. After all, you have to keep up appearances with a classy coach like a Born Free!

Yes, we are coming back for more off-road abuse in Colorado. Greg was a little white-knuckled with the driving circumstances last year so I was a little surprised when he said he wanted to do it again. But we really enjoy Colorado and are always looking for an excuse to spend time there. And we enjoyed the folks we met. Hope the breakfasts are as good as the ones we had last year. I sure got spoiled!
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Linda Giuliani wrote:Bill, we splurged on the "4 buck Chuck" when we were in California this spring. After all, you have to keep up appearances with a classy coach like a Born Free!

Yes, we are coming back for more off-road abuse in Colorado. Greg was a little white-knuckled with the driving circumstances last year so I was a little surprised when he said he wanted to do it again. But we really enjoy Colorado and are always looking for an excuse to spend time there. And we enjoyed the folks we met. Hope the breakfasts are as good as the ones we had last year. I sure got spoiled!
Why were the 4-WD drives white knuckle? Because of heights and drop-offs? Or roads that aren't roads? Too fast a pace? Or? I'm just looking for a little forewarning.

Also, what is 4 buck chuck?

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”