route recommendation

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jobrien

route recommendation

Post by jobrien »

Will be leaving NJ on Thursday and heading to Hilton Head.

Plan is to take I-95 straight down. What's the best way to get around/through the Baltimore and Washington DC areas? I believe there is a tunnel someplace with propane restrictions.

We may come home via 95, 64 then 81 and 78 through PA.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John
Taobeemr

Post by Taobeemr »

Hi John-

Nice meeting you and Maureen at the NJ Rally-thanks for the chocolate bar!

Going around Baltimore- you are right- no RV's with propane allowed in the two tunnels. From 95 South, take the Baltimore Beltway (695) East, towards Dundalk. You will pay 2 bucks (in cash or EZPass) to go over the Francis Scott Key bridge. Stay on 695 until it reconnects with 95. DO NOT take 695 west, around Baltimore- it is congestion hell.

DC - When 95 intersects with the DC beltway, take 495 towards Andrews AFB, and cross the Woodrow Wilson bridge. It reconnects with 95 in Springfield- this new intersection is called "the mixing bowl" you'll see why. The other way around the Beltway is alot slower, congested, and has lots of hairpin turns around Bethesda- the story was that certain congress residences didn't want their property compromised, hence all the turns.

Time wise- If at all possible, avoid rush hour! it can take hours to move a few miles.

Hope ou enjoy your trip!
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Thank you Anne. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Maureen says we are leaving NJ at 6am her time (that will be around 7:30 real time) so I think we will be past the rush hour by the time we hit Baltimore.

Hopefully traffic won't be too bad.

A friend recommended going out to PA on 78, then 81 to 64 which comes back to 95 by Richmond. If going south on 95 seems bad, we might try that route coming home. Looks a little longer on the map, but probably less traffic.

Thanks again.

John
litehous

Post by litehous »

John, If your not in a hurry, take RT 1 to I-95 just north of Philly to RT 13 just south of Wilmington DE. Then Rt 13 south across the Bay Bridge-Tunnel ($17) to RT 17 along the coast to just outside Hilton Head. We use 13 & 17 a lot traveling up the coast from FL. nice roads and lots to see.
Frank.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Frank;

How does that route compare time wise to 95 all the way? I know traffic can be bad on 95 at times.

Might try that way coming home.

John
litehous

route

Post by litehous »

It's going to take longer, but are you in a hurry? "Take time to smell the roses".
Taobeemr

Post by Taobeemr »

Hi John-

I took that way (Rt 13) towards Florida two years ago in the Born Free.
Frank is right- it is beautiful going over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. However, there are alot of traffic lights and small towns to go through. Route 13 becomes 17 in North Carolina. Then it really got slow and meandering, so I got back on 95 after Myrtle Beach. But if you have alot of time....
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Seems like we are always in a hurry......

After we stop to smell the roses at one place, there are more roses down the road that we have to smell also. :lol:

We've taken the bridge-tunnel route a few times and also the Cape May ferry. Both are enjoyable and the ferry breaks up the driving.

My daughter and her family will be in Hilton Head the same time as us. She is planning on coming home via Ocean City, MD, the bridge tunnel and then the ferry. Depending on our schedule and how many more roses we stop to smell, we might do a similiar route.

Thanks for the suggestions.

John
litehous

Post by litehous »

John, if you go back by Ocean City MD, have you been to Assateague St Park? If you can get in, seeing the horses and deer are neat. No AC for most of the sites, the National Park next to it is nice, but loaded with flies i heard. Also on RT 50, just southwest of Ocean City, there is a big Restaurant that has a smaller place beside it that serve all you can eat crabs. As you smell the roses, it's nice to try the local food along the way.
Enjoy.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”