Spare tire accessory

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

gwb36

Spare tire accessory

Post by gwb36 »

I am thinking of adding a spare tire accessory to our 2003 26' rear bath. I saw several at the homecoming at Humboldt last year. For those who have this, would you consider it worth it to add to our coach? Have you ever wanted to remove it due to nonuse of the spare?
George W Becker
2015 Born Free Triumph w/slide
Birmingham Alabama
hrgermany

spare tire

Post by hrgermany »

I carry a sparetire,which I proberly never use.But it makes me feel better
that I have one in case its needed.It is important to carry a matching tire.

Hans Rueckert
1995 26 BF RSB
Dallas Baillio

Spare Tire

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have a spare with a carrier that slides into the hitch mount. I bought it before a trip to Alaska (Didn't need it). It does not interfere with opening the rear storage door on my 26RSB. If I tow a vehicle, I move the spare to the vehicle and leave the mount at home. Even though I would not be the one to change the tirel, I like having it along since I might not be able to purchase a tire of the correct size (and wheel if need be) just anywhere.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
gwb36

Post by gwb36 »

Since only two people out of 431 members responded to my query concerning spare tire carrier, it is safe to say hardly anybody carries a spare tire. Thanks to Hans and Dallas for their responses. That was helpful in my quest.
George W Becker
2015 Born Free Triumph w/slide
Birmingham Alabama
whemme

Spare Tire

Post by whemme »

I have carried a spare tire with rim for 8 years in both my earlier 1999 BF 24' RB and my current 2002 BF 26' RSB motorcoach. This tires fits nicely in the forward part of the compartment under the Flexsteel Sofa bed. I have never had to use it so far but that is OK. If you destroy a tire and get towed in free by AAA or whatever, the tire facility that you get towed to will most assuredly not have a replacement tire of the proper size and you will wait a day or two for a replacement.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I also have and still do carry a spare (rim & tire) in the same area as Bill in my '99 RSB....Wouldn't feel safe without it !! 8)
Guy Carter

Spares have a purpose!

Post by Guy Carter »

I would never go anywhere without a spare. I had one mounted on my BFT immediately when I got home after purchasing it. I had a tire blow on a 5th wheel trailer one weekend. I changed it and tried to get a replacement. Guess what, none were available where I was! There are times you get into the "outback" so to speak and spares don't grow on trees. The old thing about calling the tire service doesn't work if they don't have a tire that fits/matches what you have on the rv. Personally, I'd never be caught without one!
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

We carry a mounted spare tire in the same place Bill and Charlotte do. Yes it takes up some space (but I manage to carry all the clothes, gear and food I did before - which means I carry WAY too much!) but we decided this was the prudent thing to have.

A nail popped our right front tire in Flagstaff, Az. and ruined the tire. Fortunately the rim was okay. Also fortunate for us was that this happened a block from a tire service center. We bought a new tire (not an exact match because it wasn't available) and made it home. We then bought two new matching tires for the front and made the decision to purchase an extra rim. The Flagstaff tire was mounted on the new rim and stored under our sofa. We hope to never need it, but just in case we ruin another tire AND a rim, we won't have any delay in getting back on the road.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”