Born Free flood damage

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

David and Susan Bratt

Born Free flood damage

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

I hope this never happens to anyone else out there. We had 7 inches of rain on Saturday while we were out of town. We came back to find a half inch of rain in our basement and went to check on our BF in storage.
From the highway we coud see that the ground under the building right where we had stored the motorhome had fallen about 30 feet into what used to be brook and is now a river. We were able to find a way to get to the devastated structure and see our motorhome still inside with about 6" of ground still behind the right rear wheels. We had to leave it that way over night and this morning with the help of another man were able to push two other vehicles out of the way and pull garbage from under the motorhome. It started! and David was able to drive it about 30 feet forward onto a much more secure floor. It has considerable water damage - it looks like the water came over the seat level. But we believe it is salvagable. We really can't get at it to do anything to it since the building it is in is literally falling apart, there is no ramp left, just a two foot drop off and the road and railroad tracks to get to the place are simply gone. In spite of this it was a great relief to move it to a safer place and we haven't lost a home like many people did.
Have any of you had major flood damage? We'd be interested in your experiences. Sue
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

so sorry to hear about your flooding - the only thing I can say is to clean all the interior ASAP and get the dirt out and then dry everything ASAP -- be sure to look under everything for dirt and water -- use a wet/dry vacume on the rug ASAP the clean with a rug cleaner --- Bob Newby
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Sue, first, obviously, call your insurance agent. The, get it clean and dry ASAP. Use a professional cleaning and restoration company. They have equipment that can do stuff no home carpet cleaner can touch. You'll need to keep it open with fans and dehumidifiers for a fair amount of time. The problem for you will most likely be that the insulation in the walls is saturated, and there's no good way to get trapped insulation to dry quickly without damage to the wood structure of the coach without removing the exterior walls. Further, there may be mold issues inside the walls very shortly. A call to Humboldt may be in order to find out what has to be done to get that insulation out.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
David and Susan Bratt

update

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

This has been a few miserable days of ups and downs. We were told by Progressive on Tueday that our damage was not covered. Kim at BF said they had never tried to repair or rebuild major flood damage to one of its motorcoaches. On Thursday we were able to drive our vehicle home and started to try to clean it up. On Thursday afternoon Progressive called again and said they had made a mistake and that the damage was in fact covered. An adjuster was here this morning and took one look at the water level and said it was "totaled." So we have gone from thinking we had a total loss to knowing we can replace our Rover somehow.
It is so very strange thinking that this beautiful vehicle is not worth saving. Everything from midcalf on up is in perfectly good condition. The flood must have moved through very quickly. The carpet under the tool box under the bed was clean and dry. Otherwise there was mud everywhere on the floor, in the storage areas, inside and out, and under the cabinets. The beds were dry, the refrig untouched. The only damage outside of mud that we can see is the window over the cab is shattered. But because Rover was stored inside, no water came in from above. It is surreal.
I spent yesterday retrieving everything from the vehicle. Everything in the upper cabinets and bathroom and most of the lower kitchen cabinets was clean and dry. I spent hours washing everything from the lowest drawers and outside storage and then dipping everything in bleach water. Of all the "stuff" that we had placed in Rover, I can't think of a single item of value that we lost, or won't be able to use again.
So here are three things I want you all to do. First go out and hug your motorhome. Second, the next time someone comes in with dirty feet, smile and clean it up knowing it is not a half inch of filth over and into everything. Third, write a check to your local Red Cross or some such agency. They are doing very important work right now in our community and in Ohio, today, and Oklahoma and Illinois and who knows where tomorrow. So many have lost so much more than we did.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
whemme

Fllod Damaged Born Free Motorcoach!

Post by whemme »

David and Susan Bratt,

I also have a Progressive insurance policy on my Born Free. When I first insured my new 1999 Born Free 24' RB motorcoach with them, the policy they offered had the provision that for the first 5 years, if the coach was totaled, they will pay for a new replacement motorhome to the extent possible of the same make, class, size, and type. This optional coverage if selected is listed on your Progressive declarations page of the policy as TOTAL LOSS REPLACEMENT COST - OPTION.

However, you probably won't have this option since I see now that you list your coach as a 2001 24ft RB - more than 5 years old.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
LeAnn

water damage

Post by LeAnn »

Hi,
I'm so sorry for your loss of Rover and the extensive water damage. All take care -

Comment regarding reports from Humboldt moved to question that was posted directly asking about the area.
LeAnn
LeAnn

What about after 5 years.

Post by LeAnn »

Hi Bob,
Does the policy after 5 years relace at the current value each year to reflect it's depreciated value? Does anyone know if depreciation is figured on a specific percentage rate for RV's?

I assume there is a "blue book" for RV's such as for cars and trucks - I'm not familiar with the name of the resource.

Take care -
LeAnn
whemme

Progressive Motorhome Policy

Post by whemme »

LeAnn,

The Progressive policy that I had would for the first 5 years replace a totaled motorhome with a new (not used) equivalent motor home. Then after that 5 years, they would pay only the depreciated valve for a totaled motorhome.

A resource for used RV values is the commonly known NADA blue book (actually yellow in color). They have a monthly version just for RV's. You also can check out the NADA RV values on their website as follows: http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.a ... p=0&f=5602

I am not sure that the NADA RV values are as accurate as they are for automobiles which reflect actual used auto dealer sales information. I don't think that this actual sales history info is used to determine used RV values but I think that the Born Free factory uses this guide when they figure the trade-in value of a used Born Free against a new unit being purchased by a customer.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
LeAnn

Newby RV owner getting wiser

Post by LeAnn »

Thank you Bob and BF owners...

We have learned SO much from this forum and I look forward to being part of the BF family for many years. Thank you for the insurance information and assisting us to find answers to our questions.

It is most appreciated,
LeAnn

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”