Picking up a new coach

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ann P

Picking up a new coach

Post by Ann P »

Hello, folks. I am picking up a new Born Free in Clermont,FL this week, trading in my 2005 BF which I bought used...so this is my first experience with a brand new motorhome. I've noticed past comments on the Forum from people who found some problems or things that needed to be corrected with their new coaches. I plan to take my new coach on a weekend trip and test it out , besides the usual walkthru at the sales place. So I'd like to hear about things to really watch for , based on your own experiences with new Born Frees. Not everything has gone smoothly with the paperwork and such so far. and today I got some convoluted directions taking 7 roads from Jacksonville to Clermont, so this is already an adventure. Oh baby!
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Ann;

Congratulations on your new purchase. Are you getting a 2008 model?

If so, you can probably ignore the obvious checking for water stains, checking the outside caulking around the seams and windows.

Whoever does the walk through with you should show you how to operate every appliance. Even though you are a current owner, some things change, and besides, you want to make sure everything works anyway.

Put the a/c on and make sure it cools the unit. Have them fill the water tank and put the pump on. Once the pressure builds up and the pump shuts off, keep listening to see if it comes back on. If it does, there is a leak somewhere.

Take it for a test drive on different roads at different speeds. Listen for wind noises and rattles before you put any of your "stuff" in it.

My Born Free is my 5th new coach, and I can honestly say it has had the fewest problems of any. I had some water (rain) leaks right after I got it, but they were quickly resolved.

On other coaches I found broken door hinges, a door lock that didn't work, windows that didn't open, and missing things. How they got past the dealers inspection, beats me.

If you do a search on the web for "PDI checklist" you will find many detailed lists to go by.

Good luck

John
Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

You might want to check out Lake Louisa State Park. It is a few miles south of the Born Free Clermont facility. We stayed there the first night we picked up our BFT in June 2006. It is a very nice campground.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/lakelouisa/default.cfm
Ann P

picking up new coach

Post by Ann P »

Hey hey!! Where are all you guys who know about the new 2008 models?! I thought I'd hear from the other people who have picked up a 2008, though I know there aren't many of us yet. But I also wanted to hear comments from the 2006 & 2007 owners who picked up at the factory or the stores.

When I got my 2005 BF from a RV dealer, there were various minor things wrong, plus absolutely no owner manuals inside. The previous owner only
had it 7 months (for health reasons) and sold it to a big dealer. I'm happy about getting my very own new coach directly from BF, and now I have a better sense of what to look for but there are always surprises.

I only have this weekend to do a shakedown trip in the Clermont area. Planning to go to the Escapees park nearby. Really don't want to deal with Orlando, and had plenty of vacations there in my pre-RV years (I'm a Fla. native transplanted to Colorado, and now a full-timer). Thanks for the suggestions though.

Will have a PDI list ready and have been reading some helpful RVing books as reminders. I do think BF is pretty thorough, though not quite perfect. :)
John S.

Post by John S. »

My last two Born Frees were delivered right to my door in VA. That is what I call service. They did the walk through in my driveway.
mquade

Delivery of 2008 BFT

Post by mquade »

We picked up our 2008 BFT about one month ago. Kim went through everything with us, and did a good job. However, we did find the rear wheels(ones that stop you from hitting the pavement when on an incline) were missing, and when we got home I crawled under the chassis just to look around, and found the cable that charges the battery while enroute unhooked. There also was a wire not hooked up yet that prevented the furnace from running. The wheels were attached before we left, and furnace wire attached. The cable was attached(per instructions from Kim) by me at home.

First impressions-drives and handles very well, i.e. balanced, and quiet. Very little sway. Could not operate all systems as we had to winterize it for storage as soon as we got home. However, water pump worked and nothing leaked when we pumped antifreeze into it.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Ann;

Did you pick it up yet? How did things go with the PDI?

John
Don Pederson

directions from Jax to Clermont, FL

Post by Don Pederson »

From Jacksonville go south on I-95 to I-4, then west to Orlando. Get off on highway 50 and go west, about 7 miles or so (this is kind of slow going but easiet), until you come to highway 27; turn right (north) and go about 4 or 5 miles; it is on the left.

Jerry Erhardt will do a super job for you, I'm convinced!

I've been there a number of times, having purchased our 2004 26ft RSB there.

Don Pederson (Juno Beach, FL)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”