RV Supplies

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BFRV2GO

RV Supplies

Post by BFRV2GO »

We are new to RVing and wanting to stock our new to us 2000 24RB with various forms of equipment and supplies. Any feedback on what you consider to be the best type, brand, or model for our Born Free for the following items: power or booster pac, septic hose supporter, walky talky, and multipurpose inverter. How about water purifyer? Also if anyone wants to add what top three items they wouldn't go RVing without I'm all ears! Thanks
Buffy and Chris
Jojoba Hills SKP RV Resort Park
Aguanga, CA
2000 24'RB
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Welcome to the RV world...I'm sure you'll love your BF... 8) As far as the three things I won't travel without (solo driver here)...My cell phone including chargers...My Power Pack (don't remember the brand) that can start my engine (if need be) or charge what ever I may need charged & will air my tires, etc. and finally....my coffee pot (which the Power Pack will operate if need be...) :wink: I'm sure others have their preferences & will probably voice their opinions....Everyone's different on what they feel is a necessity....however, I don't go anywhere without my coffee....! :mrgreen:
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi Buffy and Chris -- the Paso Robles rally would be a good place to get all of your questions answered -- Bob
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Buffy and Chris;

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest camping a few timew with the essentials before you go and buy things. When we first started RV'ing I was buying all the gadgets I could find at Camping World. As time went on, we wound up not really needing most of what I bought. When we had our larger class A motorhomes, we carried all that stuff with us, "just in case". When we went to the Born Free motorcoach we did not have the space, and it turns out we really don't miss the stuff we used to carry.

Essentials would be things like the water and sewer hoses, electric cord, paper towels, plates, etc., pots and pans, towels and some cleaning supplies. Things like that we leave in the BF.

Depending on how long you will be out, the appropiate clothes, food and supplies are packed.

I carry an extra 25' of water hose and 30 amp electric cord. I also have a voltage meter (Good Governor) plugged in to monitor the voltage inside, a basic tool set, a coffee pot and a toaster oven. That and the microwave can sustain us.

Other items you bring will depend on your interests and likes; cameras, music, movies, cards, sports equipment, hobbies, etc.

So go on a few outings, make a list of what you forget to take, laugh about it, and next time you'll forget something else.

Happy travels.

John
jerseypete

welcome !

Post by jerseypete »

Hi Buffy and Chris, congrats and welcome. I am new also, just bought Ron Purdum's 26RSB on 1/8/04. I was fine until Ron and Tony left me, and then I realized I forgot half the stuff they told me. Awesome. There I was sitting by myself with all the electronics and appliances, inverters and pumps and switches, etc. thinking, was that red switch for the water pump or the water heater?
Everyone , (well, almost everyone), here is so helpful and nice, you are never alone and stuck, unless you wanna be.
Good luck, and I hope we meet along the way, Pete :shock:
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Hi, Buffy and congratulations! We use an external water filter that is inserted into a bracket that we mounted on the side of the coach next to the water intake. The cylinder is replaced once a year and costs about $69, I think. It seemed to be the best one for our space requirements that I could find at Camping World. We always fill the water tank, remove the filter and disconnect the water and then use only water from the tank. That way the tank empties every day or so (and we know how much is in our holding tanks). We didn't follow this procedure the first few months and my notorious stomach was not happy. No problems since the filter. People without stomach issues probably don't need to do this. If you want more info, email me and I will look the filter up. We also now have a NOAA enabled battery and crank powered radio that you can set to give weather alerts since we typically travel in spring and fall and the weather is so goofy lately. It can also charge a cell phone a bit.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Brent

Post by Brent »

I don't know your RV experience, so I'm sorry if these suggestions are too basic:
1. Go to a tire store and buy a good truck size tire gauge that they test and assure you is accurate. Then EVERY morning on the road before taking off - check the tires. One bad experience with an inside tire being low and "peeling off" at highway speeds will make a believer out of most of us. I also carry a bicycle pump to use on the side air bags; just seems easier then trying to keep from overinflating with an air hose.
2. Develop a "pre-flight" list of things to check each time before driving away (is electrical unhooked, antenna down, hot water heater off, etc.). I keep mine on the dash and review it before I turn the key.
3. A spare electrical cord (maybe 50-100') can come in handy when your regular cord won't reach. Also electrical adapters from 110 volt to 130, from 130 to 110 (reverse), one from 50 amp to 130 volt. Personally I carry a good quality surge protector (the kind that also protects from low voltage - about $275 at Camping World) and ALWAYS plug into it.
4. Duct tape, basic hand tools.
5. I use a French Press for coffee to avoid electrical needs (then I fell in love with the taste and use it at home now).
6. I couldn't make it without an inverter, but if you don't want it hard wired you can still use it for low power uses, chargers, computers, etc. You can use it back in the coach or off the dash.
7. I would suggest getting the wiring fixed so you can throw a switch to start the engine from the coach batteries OR get a "long" set of jumpers so you can jump the engine from the coach (I use the jumpers).
8. I like to travel with a CB and a weather radio.

Enjoy your BF and travel safely.

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
John S.

how to figure out what to take

Post by John S. »

Here is an idea about what to take in your RV> Camp in your driveway for a weekend and every time you go inside for something you need to buy one and put it in the RV. Now you need to have a baseline like hoses, electric lines sewer hose and water filter and pressure reducer.
BFRV2GO

Thanks for supplies Feedback

Post by BFRV2GO »

I have really been enjoying reading all your feedback. This is the first computer forum I have joined and it's amazing to ask a question in a little box and then get responses the next day! We were without power for a week due to the storms then had to recover from that otherwise would have thanked you all sooner. Thanks Charlotte for the power pack update. Brents reply was very helpfull and I'm looking into some of that stuff. John's response has inspired me to start a new topic! I thank each of you for taking the time to reply and I'm still all ears for any additional replys.
Buffy and Chris
Aguanga, CA
2000 24'RB
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I can personally vouch for Coach Net road service.

Unfortunately I had the need to use them twice when I had my Allegro. Had to get towed from the middle of no where in WY back to Billings MT. Of course I had to wait 5 hours for the tow truck to show up and then follow it back to MT another 5 hours.

3 days later we were heading home again and got as far as Sheridan WY and had to get towed back to Billings MT again. Coach Net paid over $2,000 for those two trips. That was in July 2006 and I had just signed up with them that April when my OEM warranty expired. Best $75 I ever spent. I just couldn't see my poor wife out there pushing the motorhome up those hills and then running downhill to try and catch up again :lol: . She still thanks me to this day :wink:

Road service is a necessity.

John
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Sam or John:

Do you have a website for Coach Net?

Thanks, Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Bill;

The website is http://www.coach-net.com/

I joined thru FMCA, when they only had the basic plan. They have since added "benefits" at additional cost.

John
BFRV2GO

Post by BFRV2GO »

Thanks for the great info Sam and John-I got right on it and I am now a card carrying member of both FMCA and Coach.net!

p.s Charlotte I forgot to ask, What's a PM? You mentioned it on your post about power pacs.
Buffy and Chris
Aguanga, CA
2000 24'RB
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

A 'PM' is a personal message that is sent to your message center on this website...Often members use that manner of communication to address an issue directly with the person requesting info. 8)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”