Extra Storage

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BFrees

Extra Storage

Post by BFrees »

I am thinking about ordering a StowAway2 cargo carrier (Sport Model) http://www.stowaway2.com/product.aspx?id=85&cid=36 and was wondering if anyone could give some advice (pro or con) as to this idea. Am looking basically for a place outside the RV to store the BBQ grill, this way I don't need to "throughly" clean the grill before storing again while on the road. It's a real pain when you have alot of "one nighters" and are yearning for that grilled steak. I think it will also come in handy for carrying extra bottled water & BEER! ;-)
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I've thought about the swing-away model for my BFT since it has the rear entry.

As an alternative for a BBQ grill at about the same price as the StowAWay carrier, this is kind of a neat idea.
Attachments
grill5.jpg
grill5.jpg (28.38 KiB) Viewed 13503 times
grill3.jpg
grill3.jpg (34.06 KiB) Viewed 13503 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Or for serious grilling: :D
Attachments
grill4.jpg
grill4.jpg (93.12 KiB) Viewed 13500 times
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Ed;

Last year I bought a hitch carrier at Cabela's for $100. It's aluminum so it is fairly light. I bought the cargo bag that goes with it at Camping World. I carry our outside chairs, a mat, small table and whatever else I think we need. They are all lightweight but bulky items. I think the carrier can hold 500 pounds, but would have to verify that.

It does not lock, but is supposedly waterproof. Guess I could get a long cable and wrap it around the bag and rack to discourage theft. The bag is probably worth more than the contents :lol:

I looked at the Stowaway and another brand, but they are heavy, and would almost be a permanent install. I tow my Jeep, have a bicycle carrier, and I wanted the flexibility of moving the carrier to the Jeep when I want to tow, or just leaving the carrier home if we were going someplace where we would not be sitting outside and did not need the stuff in it. I can easily remove the bag and all it's contents if I just need the carrier on the Jeep for a trip to Home Depot, or remove the carrier also.

I think my carrier is by Masterbuilt. They make a steel and an aluminum carrier, easily put together, and so far it seems sturdy.

I liked the flexibility and multi-use capability.

John
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

Bill,
Thanks for the tip, they're both SERIOUS grilling equipment, maybe a little over the top for what I'm looking for though.

John,
Is there anyway to raise the hitch carrier so it's not coming straight out the back? The reason I'm interested in the "Sport" model StowAway is it has a high-rise frame. I'm afraid of scraping going up and down inclines. I'm in a 24', but have been in situations where I did drag alot. The wheels under the rear bumper did do their job and prevented damage to the RV itself, but with the extra length in back I'm a little leary. Have you had any problems in that regard?
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Ed;

I have not had a problem scraping bottom with mine. Pulling into my driveway, the rollers do hit the walk, but the carrier did not hit. Not saying that will work in all circumstances, will depend on the slope I guess.

You can buy a "drop down" hitch receiver and install it upside down in your receiver. They come in various heights; 2", 4" 6" and maybe even 8". I just bought a 4" one because the BF receiver is about 6" higher than the baseplate on my Jeep. Blue Ox recommends no more than 4" difference in height. They are not cheap, anywhere from $70-100 depneding on the drop size. I believe Camping World has them, and I ordered mine from RVUpgrades.com who carries the Blue Ox line. It's just a few pieces of 2" tubing, so a local welding shop might be able to make one cheaper (make sure the hitch pin hole is in the right place).

If you feel like taking a ride one day, you can "borrow" mine and see if it works for you befoer you spend the money.

John
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

John,
Thank you for the kind offer, if I start to lean that way I may take you up on it.
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
MatthewKraft

Re: Extra Storage

Post by MatthewKraft »

We went from a '91 RSB to the '06 and lost a couple interior cabinets and one external storage bay with the move. We bought the Stowaway 2 MAX to give us the storage we were missing. We've only had the opportunity to use it twice since purchase, but so far it's really nice.

It holds our Weber BabyQ and tools, mat for under the awning, four folding chairs, kids outdoor games (jarts, ring toss, etc), wiener roasting sticks, and a couple other odds-n-ends. It still has room for more stuff if needed. Construction is very solid and the swing-away arm is really beefy. Only complaint I would have is that it tends to "rock" a little on the hitch. They included a bracket that is supposed to tighten against the hitch, but it doesn't fit since the BF bumber is in the way.

I'll try to get some photos this weekend if the weather cooperates if interested.
Current: 2008-RSB
Past: 1991-RSB, 2006-RSB, 2006-32RQ, Tiffin Allegro
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Matthew, I'm interested in your photos. Please post. Thanks!

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Dave&JanPotter

Re: Extra Storage

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

MatthewKraft wrote: Only complaint I would have is that it tends to "rock" a little on the hitch. They included a bracket that is supposed to tighten against the hitch, but it doesn't fit since the BF bumber is in the way.
How about something like this:

http://hitchestogo.com/merchant2/mercha ... y_Code=BBM
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

Matthew:
Am very interested in your photos and any further info you can provide on why the bracket doesn't fit on the RV.
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
hrgermany

Extra storage

Post by hrgermany »

When I bought my BF 26" RSB it came with a Stow-A-Way 2 cargo carrier.
It mounts into the trailerhitch and has electric little tail lights(brakelights?).
I took the carrier off because I mounted a spare tire.
It is for sale for $150 Dollars.

Hans Rueckert
Los Angeles Ca
Tel 818 360 9488
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Hans, I might be interested. Does it "swing away"?

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
hrgermany

extra storage cargo carrier

Post by hrgermany »

It does not swing away.

Hans Rueckert
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Hans, thanks. I really need one that swings away since the coach entry is in the rear on my BFT.

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”