Oil change

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bill crommett

Oil change

Post by bill crommett »

Have any of you had trouble being overcharged for an oil change just because your Econoline has a "RV structure" built on it ? I had no problem with the only oil change business in myarea with a door high enough to accommodate my dome until they sold out to Grease Monkey. The last time I went there the mechanic quoted me the regular price for an E350 but the office tried to charge me an extra $10.00 for a Moterhome until I complained about the price quote from the mechanic. The cashier gave ma a $10.00 "coupon " discount and told the mechanic right then to make sure the chassis didn't have a motorhome on it before quoting a price. So yesterday I went to the local Walmart which has a big door, thinking they would be more reasonable. The up-shot was that they "didn't check the tires on a motorhome" because their pressure pump went up to only 35 pounds. and they still charged me $37.00 + which is ten more than I pay for an oil change on my Pick-up. anyone have a solution ?
Mel Wilbur

oil change

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Bill, this topic has been discussed on both our board and other RV web-sites and usually comes down to either do our own oil changes or check in advance with places in your area that will treat you as a van and not a motorhome. This may necessitate taking your coach to them, making sure the facility can handle the size, and also so they will know exactly what they are dealing with. Many of the quick oil change shops use a pit which means that as long as a coach will fit in the building there is no difference than a regular van.
Mel & Connie
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

I have had a problem with Ford dealers re-service and recalls -- also I pay over $100 for a regular service because I have the 6.0 diesel ---6.0 Bob-- 2004
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Bill,
We have all been exposed to this, it has everything to do with. "This guy can afford a motorhome, so he can afford to pay top dollar" Here are some of the reasons I have got from the shops for their outragous quotes.
A. It takes longer to get the unit in the door.
B. There are more grease fittings ( Wrong, but if it were true, grease is really expensive)
C. Thats what the computer says
D. they take an extra quart of oil ( Yah, charge me $2.00 for it)
E. Our mechanics require extra training
F. The liability is greater
G. Motorhome owners are fussier (not a problem, if you do a good job)
I Think I have heard them all, what is really ironic, is I have got my best prices from the guys that don,t have a pit and must slide under. I never pay more than $21 and often pay $15-$17. and yes I hang around and watch them, :roll: ---------- after all, we are a fussy bunch ----------- George B
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

Bill
I am 73 and found it to be no problem in changing the oil myself. If you buy the oil most super Wal Mart Centers have a place to take the old oil. I started doing this when I had my diesels. I couldn't justify $150.00 plus to change filters and oil.
I bought years ago an air compressor and do all the maintenance on all my vehicles at the same time. I fiquer if I am going to get dirty do it once.
At least this time I don't have to get rid of seven gallons of oil.
Yes you can find some places that will change the oil for the price of a E450. We have a quick change here and when I could not get my oil filter loose on the big diesel, we just backed it in to their pit after dropping air and I even had my own oil and they just charged me $5.00 to do all the work. There are still some places that do not try to rip us off.
Don USN ret.
2002 26' RSB
1987 Cabriolet Convertable.
whemme

Born Free Oil, Filter, Lubrication Service

Post by whemme »

Bill Crommett,

Here has been my experience with oil change service on my Born Free E-450 V10 motor home. My local Ford dealer (Don Pierson Ford) changes $26.00 to do an oil and filter change, chassis lubrication, check other fluids, check tire pressures and vacuum front carpet. Another independent garage in town (Graham Tire) does the job for $22.00. Now when I am on the road out of town and need this service done, it has been a totally different story.

One of the larger Ford dealers on the west side of Phoenix generally wants me to go into their truck/motorhome department for this work and the cost is then about $70. The last time I was their, that department was busy and I was able to convince them just to do in their Quick Lube department and the cost was then only $30. Same work - a lot less money. Go figure!!!
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
BobM

How much oil is enough?

Post by BobM »

I recently did an oil and filter change on my gas V-10 engine. The cost savings is fantastic compared to a Ford dealer or quick lube shop. What I noticed, was that it took six quarts of oil to refill the motor and filter. I noticed on my billing from the local Ford dealer that they were charging me for 7 quarts. Did they charge me too much or does my engine need another quart? The oil level seems to be right on the mark.
Mel Wilbur

how much oil is enough

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Bob, also do my own and 6 quarts including the filter brings mine up to the full mark. Just turned 50k with no problems using the 6 qts.
Mel & Connie
tomdclark

Post by tomdclark »

I hadn't changed oil myself for several years until I recently purchased my BF. When it came time for an oil change, the only place I could find near my home with a big enough bay was a certain RV Center (NOT BF!) which was asking ONLY :shock: $110 for an “oil change and lubricationâ€
Bill Ruh

lubrication points

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Tom,

Our 1991 (with king pins) has 10.

Four are on the vertical front axle joint near the tire, 2 on each side, one on top and one on the bottom.

Four on the front steering rod, two in the center and one on each end by the tire.

Two on the driveshaft at the u-joints. Not all u-joints have them, but if they do, it's worth doing.

Just look for zerk fittings, which are shiny nipple-shaped fittings with a hole in the top that has a spring-loaded ball that pushes in when you add grease with a grease gun.

You'll need a grease gun, preferably with a flexible hose.

There is chassis lube grease (nlgi lb) and wheel bearing grease (nlgi gc). The last bucket I bought was a lithium complex rated for both, but if you have to pick one or the other, get chassis lube grease. I fill my gun by hand from the bucket, but the no-mess option is to buy grease-filled tubes.

Just give 5-10 pumps per fitting, looking for the rubber to bulge or a little grease to leak out. The front ones are easy and don't require jacking. The u-joints require crawling underneath, but still don't require jacking.

YMMV. Hope this helps a bit...
Mel Wilbur

Lube points

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Tom, our 2002 E-450 has only 4 grease fittings, all in the tie rods and steering arms. It helps to drive the front end up on about 5" of blocks for more clearance when doing it yourself.
Mel & Connie
whemme

E450 Steering Linkage Lube Points

Post by whemme »

Click on the following link for a pictorial diagram showing four lube points for the Ford E-450 chassis. Not sure what chassis years this diagram applies to. It may apply to only the more recent models since the diagram shows a February 2005 date on it.

http://home.aaahawk.com/~donaldf/sitebu ... nts_ls.jpg
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”