new tires

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jerseypete

new tires

Post by jerseypete »

I called my local Tire place that I use for my car tires for many years, just on the chance he might direct me to someone who could install new tires on my rig, 26 RSB.
They have a small shop, but are know for quality work at reasonable prices.
John, the owner, said his bays are too low for my coach, but that he will do it outside on 4/9.
6 new Michelin LT M/S 225/75R16E"S, mounted and balanced, $1325.00 Total
I already have the Metal stems, with the stainless cable from the rear inside tires, mounted on the outside tires for easy checking and filling, courtesy of Ron Purdom the former owner.
I'm hoping not to get negative comments on this, I just wanted to share what I believe is very good news. I want to thank the guys who steered me in the right direction, about what for me, a new guy, was a very confusing topic. Thanks, guys
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Pete;

Good decision to get the tires before making the trip to the factory. A little less to worry about :lol:

John
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Pete,

If your tire guy is not familiar with the type of wheel covers on your "coach" be sure to show him how to remove the two lug nut covers to expose the lugs that hold the covers on. I have seen to many that ruined the wheel covers trying to remove them.
Mel & Connie
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Pete, Good call. I'm with John. I put new tires on my coach last summer, and they really give me peace of mind.

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
RVN4US

Post by RVN4US »

Pete,

I agree with Mel, make sure that the tire shop knows how to properly remove the wheel covers. When I had to buy a new tire in Florida this past January, I about had a heart attack shock: when I seen the tech with what appeared to be a small crow bar getting ready to remove the wheel cover. Sounds like you are getting everything in tip top shape which is good.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Pete,

Just in case Ron did not get a chance to show you how the wheel covers work here is what the lug nuts that hold them on look like. A-screws onto the original stud, B-holds the wheel cover in place and C-makes it look nice.

There are two sets to each wheel and they are marked with the small circular indent to make them easy to find.

I would recommend that all lug nuts be put on with 140 foot pounds of torque per Ford specs.
Attachments
wheel cover lug nut.jpg
wheel cover lug nut.jpg (12.91 KiB) Viewed 23816 times
Mel & Connie
jerseypete

tires

Post by jerseypete »

Thank you everyone for the great help. I did not know about the lug nuts, and I doubt if the tire shop would know either. Im very greatful to be part of such a club, and hope I can contribute something as time goes on, Pete
jerseypete

tires

Post by jerseypete »

I had the new tires mounted and balanced today, no problems, smooth transfer. Did a test run to check the balancing, seems real good. The owner of the tire place, John seemed a little upset when I questioned him about removal and installation, but when I showed him the printout of the nuts from Mel's post, he was fine. He had "done many motor homes over his 40 years at his place".
Next week, the factory.
Oh! The tires we removed had 46,800 miles, and looked new, with still almost full tread. However, the inside of all of them had many spider cracks, and I could see the danger.
John said he would not drive 10 miles on them, and he would certainly not give or sell them to anyone.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Pete;

have a safe trip.

Don't rush, so you won't hurt anything :lol:

John
bcope01

Re: tires

Post by bcope01 »

jerseypete wrote:Oh! The tires we removed had 46,800 miles, and looked new, with still almost full tread. However, the inside of all of them had many spider cracks, and I could see the danger.
John said he would not drive 10 miles on them, and he would certainly not give or sell them to anyone.
I'm surprised tires only four, maybe five, years old with almost full tread were unsafe to drive on. :?
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
jerseypete

new tires

Post by jerseypete »

Follow up to new tires. I did not know, and nothing was mentioned, about valve stems, when I brought up this topic. I was ignorant of valve stems being separate from the tires, that they are mounted by themselves in the rims.
Sooooo, my tires were mounted with the old valve stems, and I pulled into the BF factory not knowing one of my inside rear tires was flat. Bret hooked me up with their tire place a couple miles away, and they took care of the problem, showing me the old stem. The next day, the other rear inside tire, guess what? Same thing.
In contacting the shop that installed the tires, the owner was surprised his man had not done the stems, and will take care of the expenses involved.
In my mind, I will now never think of tires without the stems, for the next guy
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Pete;

I thought it was standard practice to install new valve stems with new tires. It's cheap insurance to do them at the same time.

They did put steel valve stems in, not the rubber ones I hope.

Did your BF come with the valve extenders on the rear wheels? When you go back to the local tire guy, make sure the extenders are tightened down, sometimes they work loose a little.

Glad you had a safe trip.

John
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

Pete,

What brand of tires were those that were "spider-cracked on the inside" with only 4 years of use?
Brent

Post by Brent »

The coach I had before the BF had Firestones on it with about 5 years. An outside rear tire came off, on the highway and tore the insulation away in a couple of spots underneath the coach.

It also hooked a propane line and pulled it down to the highway, but did not disconnect, and beat up the area outside the wheel well of the coach.

The tire guy said he has seen the steel belt come off and wrap around the axle, requiring it to be cut off with a torch. Another guy said when his tire came off it beat up the underneath and broke open his black water tank on the road.

Not to be taken lightly.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

Brent,

There is insufficient information offered in your report to indite Firestone.
Perhaps a valve stem failed (as mentioned in other posts on this forum) or an extender failed (we have had both things happen but luckily we were parked at the time) or a foreign object possibly damaged the tire. None of these would be Firestone's fault.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”