Toads and Other Things That Go Bump in the Night

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BobM

Toads and Other Things That Go Bump in the Night

Post by BobM »

Hi Folks,
I have a 1994 Honda Station Wagon (automatic) with 88,000 original miles on it that I am considering towing with my 26RSB. Is this a good match for my Born Free? Also, what components that are part of the towing package are reusable when and if I decide to purchase another toad sometime in the future. Finally, recommendations on towing and braking components would be be appreciated. Thanks, in advance, for all the good advice that I know will be forthcoming very quickly.
whemme

Towing and Auxilliary Braking Equipment

Post by whemme »

Below is a copy of the general procedure to use with automatic transmission equipped Hondas to tow them 4-wheels down. Use this information with caution however - it may not apply to your particular year and model Honda. I know for example that the newer 2004 and 2005 Honda Odyessy mini-vans evidently are no longer towable 4-wheels down. Check your owner's manual and check directly with Honda (not a Honda dealer) to make sure that the information below applies to your vehicle before towing it.

Honda Towing with Automatic Transmission

When preparing to tow your Honda, make sure the transmission is full of fluid.  Maintaining the correct level is very important.  DO NOT OVERFILL.

Do the following every day immediately before you begin towing.  Follow the procedure exactly.  Otherwise, severe automatic transmission damage will occur.

1) Start the engine.
2) Press on the brake pedal.  Shift the lever through all the positions (P,R,N,D,2,1).
3) Shift to D, then to N.  Let the engine run for at least three minutes, then turn off the engine.
4) Release the parking brake.
5) Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY (1) so the steering wheel does not lock. 
6) Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.

If you travel more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time), you must stop and repeat the above procedure.

NOTICE:
The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked.  Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY (1), and make sure the steering wheel turns freely before you begin towing.

NOTICE:
Improper towing preparation will damage the transmission.  Follow the above procedure exactly.  If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, your vehicle must be transported on a flat-bed truck or trailer.

CAUTION:
SEVERE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DAMAGE WILL OCCUR IF THE CAR IS SHIFTED FROM REVERSE TO NEUTRAL AND THEN TOWED WITH THE DRIVE WHEELS ON THE GROUND.

I also have a 2002 Born Free 26' RSB motorhome and I have used a Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar system for a total of 6 years and approximately 55,000 miles of 4-wheels down towing with it.

This is a motor home mounted tow bar system which means that the bulk of the tow bar system stays mounted on the bumper mounted rear hitch receiver of the motor home. The remainder of the system is a base plate that mounts to the front underside of your car being towed. The tow bar itself attaches to two small protruding posts on the base plate using a couple of removable pins.

You will probably want to also consider a drop receiver also made by Blue Ox so that the tow bar will remain relatively level as it attaches between the motorhome and the car. I use a 4" drop receiver to keep my tow bar relatively level. You will see those in the accessory section on their website.

You can click on the Blue Ox URL link below and browse their website for further information on their products.

http://www.aemfg.com/

Similarly, I have also used a Brake Buddy auxillary braking system in my towed car. It is a very simple system to use and install and has proven reliable over those same 55,000 miles. Blue Ox now also makes a similiar system.

You can click on the Brake Buddy URL link below and browse their website for further information on their products.

http://www.brakebuddy.com/index.shtml

Hope this information helps.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mel Wilbur

towing

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Bob, I don't know anything about towing a Honda but have had many years using the blue ox equipment and would recommend a tow bar that stays on the coach. As for auxillary braking my choice is for a system that uses a vacuum assist. There are several of those on the market, US Gear, SMI, M&G, are some that comes to mind. Some back issues of the FMCA magazine have had write-ups on braking systems that you may be able to find on their website www.FMCA.com
Mel & Connie
bill crommett

towing

Post by bill crommett »

We have an SMI "stay-in-play" and it is the nuts !! All we have to do is turn on the switch beneath the passenger seat. Nothing to move around, nothing to connect or disconnect. The easiest system I have ever seen.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”