Converter for Digital TV

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

As far as I know a date has not been set for translator stations to convert to digital. A translator station is usually another transmitting antenna of a high power station. Most are in the Western U.S. I understand. When traveling in New Mexico I tuned in to several "translators" all over the state that were rebroadcasing Albuquerque stations. You can tell if you are tuned to a translator if the station identifies itself as "Channel 6" and you are tuned to channel 24! Sometimes in remote areas all that is available may be a translator. Here is a link for information on analog pass through and two methods of hooking up your own "home made" pass through. I had considered the A/B switch but like the other method better. http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/Analog_Pass-Through.html
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
whemme

Post by whemme »

Ed & Ann Marie,

Your idea of eliminating the 120 VAC to 12 VDC power adapter for your DTV converter and just hooking up the 12 VDC power input of the converter to the 12 VDC power source in your Born Free may or may not work.

The reason is that most likely the 12 VDC output of the power adapter is by design a reasonably well regulated voltage of say 12.0 vdc + or - 0.25 vdc. It may be regulated to within that tolerance because that is what may be required for the converter itself to operate properly. However, the 12 VDC power source in your Born Free is not so well regulated and you can expect this voltage to vary all the way from +10.6 vdc (when your house batteries are almost discharged) to +14.4 vdc when the house batteries are up and still being charged by your engine alternator. That total variation of 3.8 vdc may be beyond the operating range of the input power voltage that the converter can tolerate. There is also the possibility that the high voltage of +14.4 vdc could damage the converter.

You may want to check this out before you go to the trouble of making up a special DC power cable.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

Thanks Bill, will keep that in mind.
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
Mary Ann

RV TV converter box

Post by Mary Ann »

Thanks, Bill Hemme for all the good info. I have the coupon, but cannot find a dealer with any converter boxes on hand....now I'm glad since I will need only the ones listed with the asterisk. Guess I will start an online search for an appropriate one for my '07 BF 24RB.
Mary Ann
Ray'n Mary

Antenna Hoaxes

Post by Ray'n Mary »

When pondering the confusing and often misleading issue of DTV/HDTV--including [b]antennas[b]-- a useful FCC reference can be found at:

http://www.dtv.gov/whatisdtv.html

Among useful factoids therein: there's no such thing as a DVD (or HDTV) antenna! An antenna is an antenna, and of course they come in a variety of models, costs, and capablilities. Which we were lucky to learn before almost buying a new antenna (for a new DTV) at Camping World. Another fact-filled ref is at:

http://blog.rv.net/2008/04/24/analog-vs-digital-tv/
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

As I have read it, the translators will not be digital. Therefore those who live on the other side of the mountain and rely on a translator will not get digital TV. On the other hand, I was told by the Radio Shack gurus that our local channel 4 (WYFF in Greenville SC) will not switch for some time. If this is because we get WYFF on a translator, I do not know. Confused ?
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

While it is true that "an antenna is an antenna," it can make a difference in your reception if you have a booster similar to the Winegard set up. I have a large outside antenna mounted at least 30 feet above ground and it did not get a good digital signal on several channels. I bought a small (about 6" X 9") antenna with a booster (or amplifier) from Radio Shack, mounted it on an outside post on my porch, and get very good reception. I live about 40 miles from the transmitting antennas of our local stations. I did find that reception is very directional for me. I had to fine tune the aim of the antenna several times to get a good picture on all channels.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Duplicate post of above was deleted by the bfadmin. The typical cause of most duplicate posts is that the submitter clicked the Submit button more than once!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

As the Feb. 17, 2009 digital broadcast deadline fast approaches I've decided to retro-fit my coach prior to putting it to bed for the winter. I know we'll really appreciate it come spring when we'll be wanting to hit the road ASAP.

Reading through the thread to jog my memory about what was said back in April I was amazed at how much valuable information there was posted here and, also at how bummed out I was about my kitchen project, which by the way, turn out better than my expectations. Taking all this valuable info into account, this is the way I decided to go with my hook-up, which I believe allows me to do it all.

1. Artec T3APro converter (allows 12vdc operation & is available on internet w/ coupon)
Since I can't find a model that has both Analog pass thru & a 12vdc operating voltage the A/B switch (#5) allows me to get around buying a converter box w/ analog pass thru. Being able to operate on 12v was more important to me, so I decided to A/B switch the analog signal thru and use the RCA connectors for the DVD player.

2. Vector car power DC adapter for power
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 4787382733

3. Bell triple socket w/ extension (bought at Pep Boys), but here is what it looks like:
http://www.bellautomotive.com/asp/produ ... p?id=25217
Lets me plug in the TV, the converter box (using item #2) & my new DVD player!

4. A 2 way splitter - necessary because I send both analog and digital signals through coax cable (RF signal) to the next item (A/B switch) and then to the TV and have my DVD player coming in on the RCA plugs.

5. An old A/B switch I had laying around.... something like this one:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?c ... FQodb3H4yw

I should note at this point that I am still using the original TV that came with my 2002 BF. It is a 15 inch AC/DC w/ built in VHS tape player. Not the latest and greatest, but for our purposes adequate. We watch an occasional DVD and not too much TV, unless we are concerned about the weather or catch a short show or two before going to bed.

When all is said and done, I feel, going this way is still a heck of alot cheaper than installing a new TV and will still allow me to do it all.

I hooked it all up today and everything works great... A few cosmetic touches here and there (hide cables, etc.) and I'm ready for lift off - 2009.

If you have any questions about the hook-up feel free to contact me:
coy88@comcast.net
Attachments
IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (27.63 KiB) Viewed 10165 times
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Ed and Ann Marie,

Back in May you wrote:

"I ordered the Artec T3A Pro for that reason. The 12v adapter that comes with the converter needs a 120 vac supply, which for my purposes does not work. What I propose, is make up a cable that will plug into the "cigarette lighter type" 12v supply in the RV and attach the correct connector for the 12v into the box to the other end of the cable. I assume this will work??????"

How did you make up your cable and plug connection?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
mike&linda

DTV converter for use in RV

Post by mike&linda »

I found this web site that has the instructions on making the 12V power cord for this converter: http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/RVs_and_Converter_Boxes.html
It also covers the subject pretty well.
1990 26' RSB Diesel
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

Dallas,

I used:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 4787382733

to power the Artec 3APro.

Now that I re-read my post, I can see it's not as "clear" as I thought it was when I wrote it. May have something to do with the beer I was drinking at the time ;-)

I'll try to post a better schematic.
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”