Problem with AC electrical outlets

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BobM

Post by BobM »

I sent the message below the Kim Olson, who will give me great advice when he has the opportunity to read and respond. However, I thought it would be good to post and see if others have experienced a similar problem.

"A new issue has developed with my motorcoach. None of the AC outlets, interior or exterior are working. I know power is coming into the coach because the microwave is working. However, anything that works off the fuse labled OUTLETS is not, including the TV. The OUTLETS fuse appears to be in the OFF position, but as I try to throw the switch ON in the up position, it just returns to what appears to be the OFF position. It is not clearly marked as the other AC switches. I pressed the TEST button, but nothing seems to happen. Am I missing something, do I have a FAULT in the system or is the switch/fuse bad? What are your thoughts."
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

when a circut breaker blows you have to move the switch clear to the 'OFF" position and then back to the on position -- if that doesn't work try replacing the circut breaker -- DON'T do it while pluged into the 'shore power" -- the cover of the pannel will have to be removed for access to the breaker -- Bob
Randy Wilson

Post by Randy Wilson »

The device you are calling a fuse is actually a ground-fault breaker. It protects against excessive current flow and against current flowing in the protective ground conductor. It may be tripped by either type of current flow, and will also trip if you press the "test" button. Once tripped you must reset it as Robert explained. To accomplish the reset, you must press the breaker handle downward with a fair amount of force until it clicks. Then push it upward and it will stay. You can determine if it is reset properly by pressing the "Test" again to see if it trips. Of course, it will then be necessary to reset it again. If the breaker will not reset as described, it is either defective or there is a fault in the outlets circuit wiring that is keeping it tripped. Christmas Eve is a bad time to have electrical problems. Email me if I can help further.
BobM

Thank You!

Post by BobM »

Thank you all for the good advice on how to correct the electrical problem with my coach. As indicated, I was not using enought force when resetting the the switch. It is now working as it should.
Again thank you and a very Merry Christmas to all....
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

We had the same problem last summer, and also were not pushing the switch back to the on position hard enough. Luckily we were staying at a park that was owned by an RV tech, who helped us. Boy, were we embarrassed but also very happy that it was nothing serious.
Barbara & Ken

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”