chalking of the fiberglass. Any good remedy?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bruce Gregory

Post by Bruce Gregory »

I have a 24ft rear bath and leave it out in the sun. The finish is beginning to chalk. Any suggestions?
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Bruce, I understand the 2009 models will be out soon, that might work.
Mel & Connie
Bruce Gregory

Chalking of the fiberglass. Any good remedy?

Post by Bruce Gregory »

Hi Mel,

That would be one heck of a price for just a shine. There MUST be a better solution.
Bruce

javascript:emoticon(':P')
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Try GelGloss. It's available at most stores. I just picked up some from Camping World. I've used it on fiberglass sailboats and campers for years. If it's chalky already, it may take a couple of coats to get a nice sheen back, and perhaps an orbital buffer, but it's great stuff and relatively inexpensive.

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Bruce Gregory

Post by Bruce Gregory »

Sam and Roger thanks for your replys. I will probably go with the Gel Gloss and give it a try. If that doesn't work, later I'll try the Wizard products
Bruce G
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Hi Bruce
I tried everything on my own with no luck, I fnally took it to a detail shop, After my many efforts, I was so sure they could not do it I had them prove it in a small area. I autherized the job($250) it came out beautiful. Now I can and have maintained it by hand without problems. I would do it again, well worth every penny. see you soon George B
George Boley
Knowledge will never be lost, provided it is shared
Bruce Gregory

Post by Bruce Gregory »

Thank you George. Do you know what he used? See you soon.
Bruce
Ray'n Mary

Fiberglass Chalking

Post by Ray'n Mary »

I've been using Poli Glow for a year and it gets my vote. Easy to a apply, no buffing, so far long-lasting.
Helpline: 800-922-5013. I'm just a user, have no relationship with that firm. --Ray
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

It would help if everyone would list the model (year) of their coach.
John S.

Post by John S. »

I talked to the body shop guy at the dealer I bought some of my motorhomes at. he is a good guy. If you have really bad chalking he said to use comet cleaner. It would be an abrasive and help you cut through and then to put a good coat or wax on and keep it on.
Ray'n Mary

Post by Ray'n Mary »

Woops, my post of Sept 20th was incomplete.
For preparation (oxidation, etc.) I use Poli Glow's companion product "Poli Prep."
--Ray
2006 BFT
Qman15

Nu Finish

Post by Qman15 »

has anyone tried the once-a-year polymer called Nu Finish

I've used it on fiberglass for years, pretty cheap at WalMart too!

Jim

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”