Help!...New (2me) Old BF ... what should I worry about??

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Qman15

Help!...New (2me) Old BF ... what should I worry about??

Post by Qman15 »

Okay, I'm working on getting in my LL application in to join up. I have lusted after the BF's for a number of years after researching quality RV's through the RV consumer group.
So now I'm the proud new owner of an older BF...a '98 President 26RB. It's been lightly used and garaged most of the time.

Based on your RV and BF experiences can you let me know some of the things I should be checking out on this 10 year old coach?

Thanks a lot!

by the way, have there been any club activities at the Land Between the Lakes area of KY/TN?
hrgermany

help me --older Born Free

Post by hrgermany »

The most importend idem :check your tires-not by the profil-but by the age of the tires-there is a date code on the side wall of the tires

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26RSB
Qman15

Post by Qman15 »

Thanks Hans...good suggestion.
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

If the unit has a generator, check the number of hours on the generator. To be kept in optimum condition, it should be exercised for 2 hours a month. So, if you don't see a lot of hours on it, make sure it starts. Well, make sure it starts, anyway, regardless of hours! The problem with unexercised generators is that the carburetor can get varnished up, causing the unit to not start.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

As with any 10 year old vehicle, I would have all the hoses, belts, plugs, fluids, etc checked and replaced as needed. Mechanically, the brakes and front end should also be checked.

Make sure all the appliances work, fill the fesh water tank and turn on the water pump. after it pressurizes, let it sit and listen for the pump to turn on, without using any water. If you hear it come on, there is a leak someplace.

If no leaks, then disinfect and clean the water tank. Also check the anode rod in the water heater, if it has one.

Inspect all the exterior seams and around the window frames to make sure they are sealed well.

If you bought from the factory, I would assume some of these checks were already done, and if you bought privately, you may have gotten maintenance records.

Good luck, and ,many happy miles.

John
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

We have the same model. I am too lazy to type that much (lol). Feel freeto call me at 479-926-6890.

Bob

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”