12v aux receptacle

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BFrees

12v aux receptacle

Post by BFrees »

I have a 2000 E-450 6.8L V10 Super Duty. The 12 v aux receptacle in the dashboard has been shaky since I purchase the unit in '05. Sometimes worked, sometimes NO, unless you wiggled it. Very annoying.

This past RV trip to the West Coast did it in..... Was running an air compressor to inflate the tires when it just went dead no matter how I wiggled or jiggled it ( the end of the compressor plug melted, so I will be changing that as well) . I've managed to figure out how to get the face plate off of the dash (1 hr. & a run to get a Haynes Manual) in order to get behind the plate for access to the back of the receptacle. Another 15 minutes to figure how to disconnect the plug (No specific info in the manual about this receptacle, go figure...). I have 12.68 volts at the plug to the receptacle and am trying to get the receptacle out of the dashboard in order to replace it.

Easier said than done. Played around with it for about 45 very frustrating minutes (up until the time the wife clogged the garbage disposal). Quit for the night at that point.

I'm sure there has to be an easy "trick" to do this that I'm missing, or at least I hope so.

Any HELP would be greatly appreciated.
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

A follow-up in case anyone else has this situation.

Managed to get the receptacle out of the dashboard. It has tabs on the back that really have to be mashed in (like with slip joints) in order to get it out. I mean you REALLY have to compress these babies.....

That's the good news.

The bad news is, Pep Boys, NAPA etc. don't carry a replacement part that will fit right and/or look good. I had to go to Ford, who told me the part will be $41 and change. Am on my way there shortly to pick it up. Will let you all know how the install goes (Ford told me the configuration of the part has been re-designed with a receptacle and a ring type deal, this should be interesting).
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

Parts ordered from Ford turned out to be exactly the same as the unit I took out. Believe it or not the darn thing comes in two pieces. I probably could have gotten away with not ordering the new "ring" ( saving $13 & change) and using the old one, but then I'd be worried about it not holding correctly to the dash face since I had mashed the tabs to death in order to get it out.. All in all it worked out OK......

I have a good, solid & steady 12vdc output..... BUT!

HEY! Ford! There's got to be a BETTER way!!!!!!!!!!
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”