spare Tire

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tailwind2z

spare Tire

Post by tailwind2z »

where or how has anyone mounted a spare tire to a 26RB

we are going to Mexico and I think it would be a good idea to take a spare

This topic was moved from the Coach Modifications & Technical Library Questions & Comments forum to this forum because it did not belong where it was previously posted! bfadmin
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

We too have a 26'RB and I carry my spare on the roof. I use small diameter piece of rope to haul it up and lower it to the ground. NOTE: If you do store it on the roof DO NOT just throw it off the roof when needing it. It is amazing how far it will bounce and roll when you do this.

Jim
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I know this probably doesn't help you, but I have a 26' RSB and store my spare under the sofa behind the drivers side of the coach. I wouldn't even consider going to Mexico (or anywhere really) without a spare. Sure liked the idea of attaching a rope to raise & lower same. Wouldn't be any fun chasing that tire as it bounced down the road or off the side somewhere...But what about putting a cover over it if it's on the roof ???To keep the sun from drying out the rubber ???? Hope that doesn't sound dumb.... :wink:
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

Thanks for pointing out that I left out the details of my roof storage.
On my previous 24' RB that I bought used, it had a roof mounted spare that had a light weight metal cover. When I purchased my current 26' RB, from the factory, I had them install the hold down bolts on the new rig's roof so all I had to do was move the tire with cover.

The rope is used only to lower the tire to the ground (not as a leash to keep it from running away). Lowering it slowly and allowing it to "fall" on it's side prevents "run-away-tire syndrom".

Jim
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi Jim -- I assume you will have your spare on our trip to Alaska - I'll also have mine -- Bob Newby
hrgermany

spare tire

Post by hrgermany »

I had a tire mount made that goes into the hitch receiver and the spare tire sit s right above the rear bumper.I had that done at a place where
built trailer hitches.The tire faces the rear of the motor home,so it does not stick out to far.

Hans Rueckert
1995 26 FT BF RSB
lauri

Spare Tire

Post by lauri »

I have read these posts, but I am wondering if a spare tire swing mount can be attached to the back of my 24RB or to the ladder? I don't want to use the space on the roof (eventually would like to add solar panel there) and I like the idea of the hitch receiver mount, but it wouldn't work if I am towing. Has anyone come up with other ideas for attaching a spare tire mount on a 24RB? Would appreciate suggestions. Thanks!
John S.

Post by John S. »

I have a spare tire mount for my Foretravel. It will swing down and allow me to open the rear door and will also allow me to tow my jeep. I am thinking of making one up for the Bornfree now.
bill crommett

spare tire

Post by bill crommett »

Lauri :You CAN mount your spare on the rear and tow also. Any good welding shop can make an alteration that will allow a reciever to be put on the tire mount so you can hook up a toad.
lauri

Spare Tire

Post by lauri »

John S. wrote:I have a spare tire mount for my Foretravel. It will swing down and allow me to open the rear door and will also allow me to tow my jeep. I am thinking of making one up for the Bornfree now.
What type or brand of tire mount are you using? Or do you create your own?
John S.

Post by John S. »

I had it made up for my Foretravel. It holds a tire that is pretty heavy and will still tow 5000 pounds. I can post a picture if I figure out how to do it. It was also advertised in the back of the FMCA mag.
Attachments
tire4.jpg
tire4.jpg (107 KiB) Viewed 25336 times
tire.jpg
tire.jpg (90 KiB) Viewed 25336 times
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Why wouldn't this work for you (or maybe it won't on 2008 models) - manufactured and sold by a Club member (Virgil Dutton):

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... .php?t=627
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
jasper2222

spare

Post by jasper2222 »

Do many of you carry the spare without the wheel? Just curious, I know it will save a lot of weight, but then again do most companies you call to change a tire have the equipment to change the wheel?
lafons

Post by lafons »

Earlier post have talked about putting it under the sofa and securing it so in a wreck it would not come out and hurt someone. How have people secured the spare under the bed/ sofa....Looking for suggestions. Thanks
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
whemme

Post by whemme »

Steve,

I store a spare tire on a new rim under the sofa in my 2002 BF 26' RSB coach. If you locate the tire clear to the front of this compartment so that it lays against the forward wall of that compartment, I see no reason to secure it any further. My compartment floor under the sofa is carpeted so the tire does not move under normal acceleration or braking due to the friction between the bottom side of the tire and the carpeting. In a case of an extremely hard stop such as crashing into a oncoming vehicle or a barrier of some sort, I think the forward compartment wall would prevent the tire from shifting any further forward. If is fact the tire would break thru that wall, then it would be stopped by the metal framework of the driver's side Flexsteel captain's chair.

This is how I do it and is only my opinion on the matter.

Actually since putting the spare in that location, I have never had to use it. That is OK with me. If I didn't have a spare then, I would probably have needed one sometime!
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”