generator problem

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

lafons

generator problem

Post by lafons »

Last week I was running the generator to power the microwave when it stoped making ac after about 30 sec. I was sure it had tripped the gen, braker and reset the flip braker on the side of the generator but still no power. I've tried to reset it lots of times now and still get no power. Any suggestions? :cry:
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
whemme

Post by whemme »

Steve,

Behind the flip down lid of your Magnetek/Parallax converter/charger is a 30-amp AC breaker labelled MAIN. You might want to check to make sure that breaker has not tripped off for some reason.

Of course, this 30-amp breaker nor the 30-amp breaker located on the generator itself should not trip off just because you ran your microwave oven. The microwave is not a big enough load to trip either of those breakers by itself. In my Born Free, I can run my air-conditioner and my microwave and not trip either of these breakers. However, if I add a third large load such as our toaster, then the 30-amp breaker on the 4000 watt Onan generator will trip.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
lafons

Post by lafons »

I have checked both of these brakers, I'm not sure the gen. braker is actually resetting when it is pulled back...I have a onan 4000 as well , is the on postion toward the center line of the coach or toward the outside door for the generator ? The AC power works fine when the coach is plugged in. I was running the heat on the air as well as the microwave when it tripped and has never worked after that. :cry: :?:
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
whemme

Post by whemme »

Steve,

On my 4000 watt Onan generator, the 30-amp circuit breaker's ON position is with the lever towards the center of the coach.

If that circuit breaker is OK and in that position, then another possibility for the failure of your generator to operate both the AC and DC loads in your coach may be a defective ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). Download the .pdf file at the bottom to see a diagram of how this system works in your coach.

Without the generator ON and with the shore line power cable hooked up, then your coach obtains its AC power directly from the shore line hookup and it obtains its DC power also from the shore line hookup but via the Magnetek/Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter.

If you start the generator, then after about a 20 second delay (to wait for the generator output to stabilize), the ATS transfers the AC input to your coach systems from the shore line power hookup to the AC output of your generator instead. If this ATS box fails for some reason, then it might not allow the generator output to provide the AC input power to the coach.

If you listen carefully, you can generally hear the relay inside the ATS 'click' after the 20 second time delay at which time the generator's output is powering the coach. If you have heard this 'click' in the past but don't hear it now would also suggest an ATS problem.

Just another possibility as to the cause of your problem.
Attachments
AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH.pdf
Click on the blue Download button to the right to download this pdf file document.
(46.49 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
lafons

Post by lafons »

Bill, thanks for the reply and information. I'm going to be away from the coach for a few days but will look into what you suggested later in the week . Thanks :?
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
Sab & Ann

Generator Problem, Power Guard

Post by Sab & Ann »

Steve,
On some older Born Free units, there is a "Power Guard". The "Power Guard" is a Supplementary Generator Overcurrent Potector made by Todd Engineering Inc.. It should be located in 4' square junction box below the Magnatek unit. The center red button is your reset. I hope that this will help you out.
Attachments
BF Power Guard 002 (Small).jpg
BF Power Guard 002 (Small).jpg (49.95 KiB) Viewed 6659 times
BF Power Guard 001 (Small).jpg
BF Power Guard 001 (Small).jpg (41.25 KiB) Viewed 6659 times
2000 RB, E450
lafons

Post by lafons »

BINGO.. It was the Power Guard . Mine was located just under the water tank under the sink and looked just like your picture.Thanks to both of you for your response. It made the problem much quicker to figure out. This forum is great and the members are so helpfull and nice. :D

PS. I'm not sure I like my new (new to me ) 2001 coach being called a older unit though......Just kidding, Thanks again :lol:
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”