6 volt trojans in a 2008 BFT

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

dsfriday

6 volt trojans in a 2008 BFT

Post by dsfriday »

Anybody done this? I see on other post it has been done in older Born Frees, but unless I'm missing something, my calculations are telling me that I don't have enough clearance between the bottom of my battery tray and the upper opening of the 2008 battery comparment. My measurement is telling me I have a maximum clearance of 9.5 inches and all the the 6 volt Trojans are at least 10 or more inches tall.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Check out 6v batteries posted 2/10/08 and also a picture of an installation at 6volt batteries 8/5/07, I believe the 07 post required removing the battery door frame to have enough room to get the batteries in the compartment.
Mel & Connie
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Check out my Feb 11, 2008, 5:58 p.m., post and pictures on this thread. I have the "new" battery tray in my 2004 BFT and two Trojan T-105 Pluses fit perfect. In fact, I think T-125's would also fit perfect.

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... ght=trojan
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

I'm thinking whether you have the old tray or new tray, the battery compartment opening on the 2008 BFT just isn't as tall as the ealier models. On my 2008, I have 9 & 7/8 inches from the floor of the tray to the top of the battery compartment opening. According to Trojan's specs. for the T-105 Plus, I need 10 & 11/16 inches. Damn, looks like the best I can do is two Trojan Group size 31, 12 Volt Dual Purpose AGM Batteries. The jury is still out on whether the original interstates need replacing but I'm thinking that will be the bottom line.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

dsfriday wrote:On my 2008, I have 9 & 7/8 inches from the floor of the tray to the top of the battery compartment opening.
Wow, that is a short opening. Only 3/8 of an inch to spare with the stock 12V Interstate Group 27 battery?

Perhaps a call to the factory - seems some of their new customers should have requested that their new coaches be outfitted with 6V deep cycle batteries. Wonder what they do to accommodate that?

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Thanks Bill, first thing Monday I'll call and see what Kim has to say, but as I see it, there would have to be some major modification to the 2008 battery compartment opening if you want the Trojans and still retain the function of the sliding tray.
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

If they go flat on me again there yours. Don't know how I would get them to you though? Plan to give them one more chance. They have gone flat twice, the first time was my fault but when I went to recharge the specific gtavity per cell wasn't consistent between cells, used them anyway for two months in Florida and but for most part we were always plugged in and I noticed every time I hit the monitor they were never fully charged, even after a day of traveling. Then last Wednesday got home and this Tuesday went to fire up the generator for excerise and the coach batteries were dead again. Again, I forgot to turn off the battery switch, but nothing was powered up except the CO2 alarm. In my opinion that shouldn't have been enough to drain the batteries in 6 days. Maybe so, anyway recharged them, same result, load test says the are good, volt meter reads 12.69 but specific gravity not consistent between cells, maybe its my battery hydrometer that is out of whack. In any event plan to give them one more chance.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Dennis,

My guess is that your batteries are already toast. Before putting in new batteries you may want to consider modifying your converter/charger to a multistage system. I did this about 2 years ago and although our coach is plugged in constantly and although I never turn off the battery switch I have not had to add any water for the 2+ years. The link to the system I used is http://www.bestconverter.com/55-Amp-Con ... _p_47.html# and it was an easy do-it-yourself project.
Last edited by Mel Wilbur on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel & Connie
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Here is the new Progressive Dynamics "slide in" replacement/upgrade converter/smart charger unit for the Parallax/Magnetek converter/charger if you want an alternative to Mel's suggestion. Either the WFCO unit Mel linked to or this unit will prevent your batteries from getting fried.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/pr ... izard/7450

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
bill crommett

Battery charger replacement

Post by bill crommett »

I would like to reinforce what Mel and Bill have said about smart chargers. Two years ago, after running a set of batteries dry, I installed a smart 3 stage charger following Bill Hemme's tutorial. My batteries have not needed any additional water in two years. The installation is straight forward, and the only problems I had was getting back up off the floor when done. A warning: get the larger size that Bill Hemme used instead of the smaller size that I used because it was too tight s fit for the cabinet. I elected to use the smaller size (40 amps, I think) because we do not do much dry camping. I got it in the space, but it was a tight squeeze.
They don't learn very fast at the factory, but maybe they have started to put in better converter/chargers by now At least I have heard that they are now putting the trailer plug on the correct side of the BFT bumper now.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I also installed the Intellipower 9260C based on Bill Hemme's article. This is where I purchased mine: http://www.bestconverter.com/60-Amp-RV- ... p_171.html
$193.50
60Amp model with Charge Wizard
The price is about $70.00 cheaper than Campingworld.
I like the Intellipower as it is much quieter than the old unit and I never have to worry about boiling the water out of the batteries. I installed ours about 8 months ago.
Steve
lafons

Post by lafons »

What does going to a 55 or 60 amp converter over the 45 amp do for you in this conversion ?
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
bill crommett

converter

Post by bill crommett »

Two things
It will give you more power for more appliances if you are dry camping. And, the 60 amp converter will fit the space better.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

And it will cram more amps into your batteries faster, resulting is less time required to bring your batteries up to a full charge.

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
lafons

Post by lafons »

Having purchased a used 2001 and suppect the charger may have been updated how can I be sure if I have the old style or the newer and better style ? :roll:
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”