Wandering Protective Carpet

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Nathan Cook

Post by Nathan Cook »

We have a 24RB and possibly like us, you have a (runner) long rug which lays over the installed carpet. We like these as they receive most of the foot traffic instead of the carpet, but how do you keep this thing from "walking" forward. We constantly have to reposition it. I can't think of a way to anchor it. Has anyone conquered this little quirk? :?
Nathan
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I have the same problem...plus you can stumble on these easily. I too, would love to know how to keep them in place!
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

try the rubber shelf stuff on the back. You may have to stitch it or maybe glue it with some kind of rubber or flexible glue.

Trish
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

We've tried a couple of methods. Neither worked perfectly, and we still have to re-position the runner at least once a day when on the road.

First, we used a thin double-sided sticky rug underlay. That had a tendency to "fold" and "buckle" under the rug, creating lumps. It also held dirt, gravel, etc., and was almost impossible to clean/vacuum. The rug underlay also had to be repositioned occasionally, which was somewhat difficult.

Next, we purchased a clear plastic protective runner, which has "teeth" on the side that faces the carpet. Then we placed the rug on that, hoping that the rubber, non-slip underside of the rug would hold it in place on the plastic runner. But that still doesn't work perfectly, either. However, the rug is easier to reposition, and the plastic runner is much easier to clean/vacuum. The plastic runner also has to be repositioned occasionally but that's fairly easy, too.

Motorhome Magazine had a "Quick Tip" suggesting heavy-duty snaps to hold rugs in place. We plan to try that for the protective rug we place between the driver and passenger seats.

Since the rubber backing of the rug doesn't stop it from "creeping," the non-slip shelf liner probably won't do the trick, either.
Barbara & Ken
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

We installed our rugs using male and female snaps. These are large snaps that can be purchased from a upholtry shop. If you don't have the tools for the female side get them to put them on for you. the male side has a screw and you can get them with different size screws. Just screw them into the floor. When you remove them you can't even see where you had them screwed down. We have use this method for years on all our large rigs. Sure beats fooling with the runners.

Don USN ret
2002 26' RSB
1987 Cabriolet Toad
Brent

Post by Brent »

I use carpet tape (usually as wide as I can buy). This is tape where each side is sticky. I put a strip down each side of the runner and two down the middle of the runner. No problems after a year of wear.
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Brent wrote:I use carpet tape (usually as wide as I can buy). This is tape where each side is sticky. I put a strip down each side of the runner and two down the middle of the runner. No problems after a year of wear.
I'm jealous!!! This didn't work for us. And it left sticky residue on the carpet pile.
Barbara & Ken
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

Barbara and Ken
You can purchase male and female snaps like they use on the outside of the coach for external window covers. These can be purchased from a uphostary shop. You can get them in stainless steel. The male side has a place to install a screw or some come with the screws. If you can't find the tool to inatall the female end, they should not charge to much to do that on the carpet. I have placed them in the corners about one inch from the ends and divided the carpet in quarters or thirds for the others which are also put on the side of the carpet aabout one inch in. When you take the carpet home just lay it down, place the male snaps under it and screw them into the floor. This will keep the carpet in place and you can remove the screws if you sell your coach. If you wish to change the carpet just take the old one into the uphostory shop, and they will match the snaps.
We have down this on seven RV and as long as 40 footers. We purchased our tools years ago and they were not expensive. We also just bought a box of male and female snaps and have been replacing carpets when my wife gets tiered of the one we have laid down.

Don USN ret
2002 26' RSB
1987 Cabriolet Convertable toad
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Don, as we wrote in our Jan. 7th post, we did just that for the rug between the driver and passenger seats. The upholstery shop owner was extremely helpful and attached the snaps. He even had snaps in a color that matches our rug and carpet. Like your idea of buying extra snap parts for future use.

We've decided not to use the snap method on the runner . . . at least for the time being.

Thanks.
Barbara & Ken

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”