Winterizing

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mellowbo

Winterizing

Post by mellowbo »

We are buying a 2004 26RB. We want to drive it to Wash DC area next winter during Christmastime. Will we have to winterize it if we are using it?
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

melowbo
If your unit is like mine, 2002 26' rsb, you will have to forget using the shower as the drain lines are exposed to the elements under the coach.

When I used mine this year I put red anti freeze in the traps so it would not freeze up as water will be trapped in the trap. My unit has a heater vent going into the bathroom and when it was not freezing outside we used the shower then I would just put more anti freeze in the drain making sure it deluted any water that was left in the trap. If you have an outside shower you will have to drain those lines and shut off the valves that provide water to the shower and mine are under the sink. When we camped we kept the gray water tank traps open so they would not freeze closed, and the black water tank we kept close till we would get ready to leave as this doen't freeze so easy and to help make sure we put anti freeze in the tank from the toilet

To get ready for our trip I drained all the water lines, then used my air compressor set at 30psi and blew out all the lines. then shut off the outside shower valves.
The water lines that run to the shower were close to the outside drivers rear access door and I put insulation on these lines and kept the bathroom door open and we didn't have any problems.
You can never tell what the temperature will be in the northeast at that time.

We travelled with the water tank full. We didn't have any trouble even with temperatures below freezing.

Don USN ret.
2002 26' RSB
1987 Cabriolet Convertable toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”