Suzuki Dinghy Problem

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

RayBarbara

Suzuki Dinghy Problem

Post by RayBarbara »

I took our 2006 Suzuki GV dinghy to the dealer for its 6,000 mile service. (It has an additional 10,000 tow miles. )

Te dealer's report read that the front tires had "been destroyed by towing." The front tires, which are now on the rear, show definite signs of wear.

I talked to Blue Ox and they said that there is nothing in their products that would cause this. They did suggest that my braking system (ReadyBrake) could be at fault by applying the brakes to often but the brake pads do not show any sighs of excessive wear.

The shop that installed all the Blue Ox and ReadyBrake gear tells me the some cars are just not meant to be towed.

Any comments or like experience?
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

How great is the angle of your tow bar ~~ you are normally supposed to have it as close to level as possible to avoid magnified front-end wear and tear ~~ I would also consider tow miles when determining when to rotate your tires ~~
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Also check to make sure your steering isn't locked.

I tie a rag (sock) to the top of the wheel, so that I can see the steering wheel turn through my rear window (or camera for those who use those).

Esp. if you don't see brake wear, sounds like your steering column may not have been unlocked (at least for a while).

PatTrish
whemme

Post by whemme »

If your Suzuki GV locks the steering when the ignition key is in the OFF position, and you are towing it that way, severe tire wear on the two front tires will result. Also, make sure you tow bar is level - use a drop receiver available in 4" and 6" sizes from Blue Ox to level the tow bar if necessary.

The following is the direct link to the drop receiver page on the Blue Ox website:

http://www.aemfg.com/Accessories/droprcvrs.htm

Due to the deep throat design of the hitch receiver on the back of Born Free motorcoaches, you will need the type that is 4" longer namely one of the two P/N's listed below:

BX88194 - 4"Drop Receiver - 4 Inches Longer

BX88195 - 6" Drop Receiver - 4 Inches Longer
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I remember reading someplace, sometime, that if the tow bar was not centered perfectly on the toad that abnormal tire wear would result.

Now, how can it not be centered exactly? Guess it depends on how it is mounted to the frame or chassis. Maybe a washer on one side and not the other? If it's attached to a pre-drilled hole in the frame, could it be off a little, or maybe the manufacturere uses oblong holes instead of round ones? The frame itself could be off a little? Or an adjustment on the tow bar to ensure both arms extend and lock in the proper place?

These are all just GUESSES on my part as food for thought.

John
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

:D
Last edited by BornFree_n_Now on Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

whemme wrote: Also, make sure you tow bar is level - use a drop receiver available in 4" and 6" sizes from Blue Ox to level the tow bar if necessary.
Another alternative is shown at the link below. I started using it this year with no problems. It has a long enough throat to accomodate the nonstandard BF receiver.

http://tinyurl.com/2ne3tv
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

[quote="BornFree_n_Now"]With regard to steering column locks, it is my understanding they are normally quite “wimpyâ€
RVN4US

Post by RVN4US »

Having towed B4, I believe that at one time, even if for only a short time or a few miles, you could have done much damage to the tires had the steering not been in the unlocked positon. . If your font end is out of alignment, or your tires are not properly balanced it only takes a short time for them to wear uneven. Whatever happened, hopefully you will not have any more problems.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”