Diesel or gas engine for 22' BFT?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

LuvColorado

Diesel or gas engine for 22' BFT?

Post by LuvColorado »

As I've been researching the Built For Two, wondering what are the advantages and/or disadvantages of diesel engine over gas engine for this smaller rig? I understand diesel is often preferred for towing power, etc. What are other advantages? Miles per gallon and longer cruising range could be an issue in the future as well, so see many people are opting for higher MPG (Dodge Sprinter) class B and class C rigs... advice please from anyone with their Ford gas and diesel rigs, especially for BFT. Thanks!!!
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

We have a BFT with a V-10 and pull a toad over the mountain passes here in the NW with no problem powerwise. We get between 10-11 mpg depending on the route/load. This is up a bit from what we got initially.
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

We purchased our BFT in May, 2007 and have put 9,378 miles on it in 5 months. We have the V-10 and do not pull a toad. Our gas milage has been varying from 9.5 to 11. We've driven on all kinds of terrain from flat lands in South Dakota to the mountains all around Yellowstone. We've been in the rolling hills of the Ozarks and Interstates and 2-lane highways. Stop and go traffic in the cities with foot on the floor freeway entrance ramps! I have not pulled a toad with it so can't comment on that aspect. With that said, I will say that I prefer the gasoline engine. I have have diesels before in other vehicles and the only negative I have is that sometimes in strange metropolitan areas, diesel fuel can be a bear to find.
You cannot go wrong with the V-10 in the BFT. There's more than enough horsepower and acceleration for the weight of the loaded vehicle. Personal Opinion - I not entertain the thought getting a vehicle without dual rear wheels that has the square footage surface area on the side of a BFT or equivalent! Been there, done that! If you like white knuckles try it on I-90 with the winds gusting upwards of 25-35mph ! You'd better try out those single rear wheeled vehicles on a windy day before you make up your mind. Or better yet - just go ahead and get the Born Free and be done with it.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Dave & Deb

My wife and I owned a 2004 BFT with the V10 prior to our present 24RB. More than enough power though we did not tow. The only modification I made was to install a K&N air filter. That and the fact that 60mph was our top speed enabled us to attain 13mpg on the open road. Our average was 11mpg. I will admit that diesel was never a factor with us considering the additional initial cost, fuel price in California, and highly increased maintenance costs.

Steve W
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
whemme

Mileage reduction from having a toad

Post by whemme »

I have keep detailed mileage records both towing our 3400 lb Malibu toad and not towing it with both my original 1999 V10 BF 24' RB coach and my current 2002 V10 BF 26' RSB coach and on average the mileage reduction with the toad has been 0.5 MPG. In other words on a trip with the toad we might average 8.5 MPG whereas it would be 9.0 MPG without the toad. This is my experience from 70,000 miles of record keeping.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

My humble opinion: Except for the tune-up costs for a gasoline engine, the costs between both types is basically a wash. Considering the 100,000 mile tune-up interval with modern gasoline engines and the additional oil changing costs associated with a diesel, the overall engine maintenance costs are probably comparable between the two over time.

In the old days, your statement was probably valid. That is why in the late 70's, I purchased a 300D Mercedes as my commuter vehicle. With today's modern gasoline engines making good mileage, I don't see any upside to a diesel engine unless you need the added torque.

Bill
Last edited by bcope01 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
LuvColorado

Post by LuvColorado »

Thanks everyone for your great input regarding gas vs. diesel!

I want to pass along information I also got from Ed Newman at the BF factory regarding the diesel engine. He points out that there is a substantial additional cost... and if you want a generator, it has to be propane and this is also additional cost. Also, the other factor is the additional weight of 550 lbs for the diesel engine, which comes off the cargo carrying capacity. Ed mentioned diesel is probably less than 25% of their new sales each year.
John S.

Post by John S. »

That is what I was going to say. The loss of the gas genset mean s a diesel for those who boondock alot is out unil they figure out a way to put in a diesel genset. The propane one is not as efficent and it can sometimes be difficult to find if you are out in a snow storm or something. I can always refill my gas tank and run a space heater. I love diesel engines too. My Foretravel has a 450 hp diesel and my truck has teh duramax and I had a 7.3 but the 6.0 fords diesel are a problem and the new 6.4 have yet to be proven. Infact ford with to court with international over the 6.0 and the warranty claims. Now to the cost. I can buy a whole new engine and replace the engine with a brand new one for less thant he price of a new diesel the first time so I get two engines and that will give me enough life in the motorhome.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I would have a hard time justifying the extra costs involved with a diesel.

Buying a new rig, I think the diesel option is about 5-6,000 more. Currently, the cost of regular gas is about 5 cents lower than diesel here in NJ.

We normally drive the motorhome about 5,000 miles in an average year. and we usually keep a motorhome between 3 and 5 years.

I don't know what the difference in mpg would be, never having owned a diesel.

I don't think I would ever recoup the additional expenses based on our lifestyle. If we planned on keeping our motorhome 10-12 years or using it 30,000 miles a year, maybe my outlook would be different.

John
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Sam Ryan wrote:
bcope01 wrote:In the old days, your statement was probably valid.
Bill
Bill,
Everything I wrote to the OP, citing my experience is accurate. I don't know how I can answer him any better.
Sam, you did a good job expressing your experience with diesels.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
LuvColorado

Post by LuvColorado »

It's been very informative reading all the opinions, insight, and experiences regarding your rigs, diesel vs gas, and especially those with the Built For Two. Several have also e-mailed us with additional info. when asking about BF owners in Colorado...so thanks SO much for sharing. Helps a lot as we research RVs (and BF in particular) in preparation to buying in the future. My husband and I are finding out what a great group of people BF owners are!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”