Kodiak or Born Free

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

cjvines

Kodiak or Born Free

Post by cjvines »

Hi,

I am shopping for a new motorhome and have narrowed my choices to either a Born Free or Kodiak. this is hard because I have not see either rig.

I sold my 21 foot Chinook concorse this year because my partner is tall and we now have 2 dogs and all I heard from the bathroom were unrepeatable words.

I like the idea or the one piece shell and am looking for high quality. Would like a diesel engine if possible.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

CJ
springerbill

Look no further.......

Post by springerbill »

You understand, of course, that all of us Leap'n Lions are biased in our opinions. We love our Born Frees. Some of the benefits of owning a Born Free are: a manufacturer that has built its reputation on building 22' to 26' Class C's; quality of workmanship and materials; a manufacturer that stands behind its product and is easy to work with; coaches that are eye catching, classy, easy to drive, park, and hook up at campgrounds; and a fun bunch of Leap'n Lion Club members (now about 435 members) made up of individuals who are adventuresome and friendly and like to travel in their Born Frees. You won't go wrong by choosing a Born Free and the Born Free Leap'n Lions.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

If you are refering to the Kodiak coach by Vanguard, I don't believe it has a one piece shell. The construction appears to be the same as born free with a one piece roof and a one piece rear cap added to the side pieces and lower skirts. Keep in mind that born free also has 3 heavy duty steel roll bars which makes it an extremely safe coach. I agree with springerbill that we are certainly biased but if you get a chance to talk to born free owners and take a real hard look at the coaches I think you will see why we feel the way we do. Best of luck in your research and we certainly would welcome you to our group of born free owners.

This could be your lucky day, you may find one of the 2005 coaches with the special priceing now being offered that is equiped with a diesel engine. A phone call to the factory would confirm if such a unit was available.
Mel & Connie
pete&mindy

Post by pete&mindy »

John Dodgen started out building mobile command centers and SWAT team vans for law enforcement agencies.His production staff puts the same level of expertise and attention to detail into building the Born Free coaches.

It is the strongest and best constructed coach on the road, bar none.

During our winter trip to Florida in 04' we stopped by the Clermont showroom to get some feedback on a minor problem we were having with the shower in our 2001 26RSB. Imagine our surprise when we were told that Mr. Dodgen happened to be on the premises and we could discuss the problem directly with him. We then spent almost two hours discussing shower modifications, new ideas, and general shop talk with him.

I can't think of any other RV manufacturer in which the CEO is "hands on" and so readily accessible to those who own his coaches. That should count for a lot when deciding which one to buy.
robert

Post by robert »

Actually as I understand it, the first vehicle that Dodgen built was a slide in pickup camper with it own set of wheels. The last time I was at the factory they had one in the show room.

I also saw one still in use in Mo on a trip last year.

Regards,

Bob
Trisha

tall husband

Post by Trisha »

I think the point is that you need a coach that can accomodate a taller person. There are some beautiful rigs just done that were custom ordered so they are full height from front to rear, hence comfortable for larger folks. They also customized this same rig on a 8" wider shell, which gave enough additional interior leg room so that the seating comfort would be optimal for taller folk.

Some of you know which rig it was...it was at the Quartzsite rally. It was quite nice. The shower is very functional in these rigs, usable. I'mnot a small girl (width rather than height) and I can comfortably wash my hair and do my showering tasks without hitting things.

I think these were the issues you oritinally posted to. They will custom make you a full-height (like the 30' rigs) and a little wider, without any safety sacrifice, and they'll work with you to give you what you want. I cannot understate my suggestion that you call the facgtory and tell them what you want. I'm sure they will work with you in such a way.

Trisha

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”