Mounting a spare tire on the front of a Bornfree

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

mwthorns

Mounting a spare tire on the front of a Bornfree

Post by mwthorns »

I am considering mounting a spare tire on the front of my Bornfree. I have seen pictures of this type of mounting at some of the caravans. There is a front mount carrier available from J. C. Whitney (item # zx127052p) that they say is for pickups, vans, and 4X4's. I am concerned about possible air flow/overheating problems. Does anyone have any experience or advice that they would like to share.

Thanks,

Willis Thornsberry
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi Willis -- my sugesstion is that you think thru what will happen to the air flow with a tire blocking up front -- I would sugest that you consider a rear mount that swings away so that you can get to the rear storage area -- I put a spare tire on top when I'm traveling out of the lower 48 states -- Bob Newby
whemme

Spare Tire Mounting

Post by whemme »

Willis Thornsberry,

I had a 1999 Born Free 24' RB coach and I put a spare tire and rim in the forward compartment under the Flexsteel jack knife sofa. It will fit there quite well and when pushed all the way forward in that compartment, the tire does not block much of the compartment door access area.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”