Vail Pass??

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Wendy

Vail Pass??

Post by Wendy »

We live on the western slope of Colorado and are currently negotiating on the purchase of a 2003 26 ft. BF. We intend to meet the seller in Denver and then drive the BF across the mountain range(through Vail) and back home. For those of you who have driven Eisenhower tunnel and Vail pass....is there anything we need to know as far as gearing down,etc. going over the passes? Thanks! Wendy 8)
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Wendy;

I drove that route many years ago with another motorhome. No problems that I recall. Are there any propane restirctions in the Eisenhower tunnel?

I think today's transmissions are all computer controlled and know when to downshift. Going downhill you would have to shift to a lower gear to use the engine braking to help slow you down.

Good luck with your purchase ( and your ride home).

John
Wendy

Vail Pass

Post by Wendy »

No, there are no propane restrictions. But, we had a class A Holiday Rambler diesel that would overheat when we drove over the pass. It was a 275 Cat engine. We were told after the fact that we needed to gear down. :roll:
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

I drove the route you will be taking ( East to West) with my 26' diesel BornFree. The only thing I did was take it out of overdrive going up the grade and coming down. No problems.
Jim
Wendy

Vail Pass

Post by Wendy »

Thanks Jim...that makes sense. Wendy
whemme

Vail Pass

Post by whemme »

The only thing that I would add is that in the winter months, these high altitude passes might at times, due to weather, be restricted to vehicles with chains installed only. The close wheel well clearances of a Born Free coach will not permit the installation of chains if they are required at the time you arrive there and need to travel over the pass.

I got stuck in Reno several years ago in February trying to cross Donner pass on I-80 into California. The pass was restricted to chains only for 3 straight days!
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Wendy

Vail Pass

Post by Wendy »

Thanks for all your thoughts. This winter we had to drive over Vail pass bcause I had a dog show judging assignment that I could not miss. It was snowing and there was black ice under the snow. They stopped all of us due to an accident up ahead. We were driving our Honda Ridgeline four wheel drive truck. When they gave the go ahead to continue, everyone was sliding all over the road. We put the Honda in her low gear and steadily made it up to the summit. It was scary...and I would not want to repeat that particular event. Wendy
John S.

snow

Post by John S. »

I have driven our Fortravel in snow and just hated it. There were cars and trucks spinning out everywhere. I had no issues with traction but then again in 2nd gear gong 10 mph with 19000 pounds on the drive wheels I should not have. Now I will say this it is not climbing that motorhomes have issues with it is gong down the other side. We have alot of weight in the back and it is harder to stop us. Gear down a bunch and let the engine compression help keep the speed way down. Do not worry about others they will jsut crash and burn.. I live in the mountains and have lived in the snowbelt too. Hundreds of inches of snow.... Glad I am now further south.. Gear down it is your best friend. It has been said to gear down to the same gear you went up in the mountain in when the weather is good. I will use 1st gear when is is bad (snow and Ice covered) and just inch down the hills. I will go up a bit faster though. I had to cover over 200 miles this way last winter in themotorhome but when we got through there were only three of us that started out together on I68 in WV to get to I 70.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”