Tire Age at Time of Purchase

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

quonset

Tire Age at Time of Purchase

Post by quonset »

I am planning on buying new Michelin tires at my local Sams but the tires were made in June and July of 2007. I presume they have been at the Sams or their warehouse since shipped from Michelin. My preference would be for tires with a more recent date of manufacture. Any thoughts on what effect putting on the 2007 tires would be versus trying to find 2008 tires??

Russ Hagberg
Russ Hagberg
Columbus, GA
1995 BF 21 BFT
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

I am not a tire engineer, and free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, but... while everything has a shelf life, I don't think a few months one way or the other on a new tire before they're mounted is going to affect its service life significantly. While I'm sure there is some chemical migration, most of the damage to the tires occur from UV exposure. Unless your new tires were stored outside in the weather, I doubt there's much difference to be found in a tire stored for a few months indoors and one that was recently shipped from the factory.

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
bill crommett

Tires

Post by bill crommett »

Furthermore, if you are a prudent owner you will be buying new tires after five years anyway. Most tire gurus recommend that tires be replaced after five to seven years, and I prefer to be conservative and lean towards the five year date. A year in a warehouse should not give anyone a worry.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”