Considering a Used Purchase and Have a Couple Quesitons

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

brookside

Considering a Used Purchase and Have a Couple Quesitons

Post by brookside »

We are considering buying a used Born Free and this forum is a really good resource. We are interested in the 26RSB (haven't physically been in one yet) and wonder what the width of the closet is and also, I saw that 2 or 3 people had problems with the ceiling material "bagging" and wonder if anyone can tell me what the ceiling is like, cloth, etc. It sounded almost like a headliner on a car - the older type cars anyway. We are looking also at the Lazy Daze but the Born Free looks so much more comfortable and we would be full-timing - I know it is small but we have full-timed ina 24 foot TT successfully for 2 years and now have a big, luggy, many steps fifth-wheel. Also, does anyone know if the 30 foot with the rear bed ever had a cab-over bed as there are three of us and setting-up and breaking down the sofa bed everyday got old very quickly. All info and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cathy
Steve W

brookside

Post by Steve W »

We store our Born Free in an RV storage facility, and across the aisle is a Lazy Daze. I have been unable to look inside, so cannot comment there. As to the outside, there seems little doubt that the Born Free is of superior construction. Looking at such items as the entry step, outside mirrors, interior fans, air bags over the real axle, etc., Born Free always goes first class. It is definitely a quality piece of merchandise. We have now had ours for two years and are considering an upgrade to a larger unit. If and when we do, it will definitely be a Born Free.

Steve W
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

Hi...I'm one of the few who has a small problem with the 'baggy' ceiling. I can tell you that it is something you can fix & calling Born Free will get you the info., etc. that you need. I bought my 26RSB unit used and I have repeatedly told myself how brilliant I was to buy a BF. I have camped for over 30 years (while raising my kids) and have had a Cab over Camper, a trailer, a small 5th wheel & a bigger 5th wheel over the years. Now that I'm a single senior female traveling, my BF suits me just fine. My son who also enjoys serious camping with his wife & family (when the kids were young) has checked my BF out and told me how surprised he is that it is such a quality coach. They like to camp where there are no hook-ups as he's an avid fishermen and when I've gone with them in my BF, they always comment on what a terrific coach I have. I've seen the Lazy Daze and tho they seem to have a pretty good reputation, I didn't feel they were 'improving with the times'....whereas BF has... Don't know if my opinion & experience helps you, but I can say, if I had it to do over again....I'd buy this coach in a 'New York Minute'....Good luck in your choice....
mi99amigo

Used BF

Post by mi99amigo »

I just went outside to my 2005 RSB. The closet is 28 deep, 17.5 wide and 46 tall. This is the closet next to the entry door.

The 30 footers do not come with a cab over bed. Accordinf to a factory rep, they only come with an entertainment center for weight issue. I have never fuly understood that. Is a mattress that much heavier tan a few cabinets and TV? I think not. But I am no MH designer.

Good luck on your search.
whemme

26' RSB Closet Size

Post by whemme »

Chris Ng,

I owned a 1999 24' Rear Bath for 5 years and last year purchased a used 2002 26' RSB unit because my wife wanted a permanent bed. I can tell you that the closet size of the 26' RSB is much smaller than in the 24' RB.

However, my 26' RSB has the entertainment center in the cabover section and I installed closet rods up against the ceiling behind both the left and right side entertainment center doors to gain more closet space back again in this unit. The height really is not adequate but it works for the smaller items on hangers.

If you are interested in my closet space modifications, please give me your E-mail address and I will send you some photos later
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Trisha

closet space

Post by Trisha »

for maximum closet space, either of the Rear Bath models (24 OR 26) would offer the most. My first question when you asked was , 'which closet"? I have a full closet in the back in the bathroom, PLUS there is the closet in the wardrobe. Plus there is what I call my linen closet. There are so many closets it's unreal. You should have seen how much stuff I pulled out of that RV when I got home from my fall trip. It took like 5-6 grocery carts full...

And I did not *empty* the thing. All the linen that lives there is still in there, and I left all the bath supplies in there as well. And kitchen.

Trish
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

We have down sized from a 40 foot diesel custom coach to a 2002 26' RSB. When we emptied the 40 footer after we were full timing we filled a garage. We spent all last summer in CO, WY, SD, ND, UT etc. We dry camped and had hook ups. We found that looking what to really pack that is really needed and not nice to have that we never used we had no problem. For instance instead of six or eitht outside folding chairs we take two, for all people in RV's have their own any how. Instead of boxes of fuses, tools etc., I know pack a few spares and most of the tools we will need in an emergency, not the whole garage. We carry only a set of four dishes know instead of 8 etc.
We were amazed how much stuff we carried for years we never really used. Yes we do carry a lap top computer printer, scanner, etc. with Delorme mapping. My wife clothes know consist of mix and match.
I miss the large window area for the computer, 150 gallons of diesel we carried and the 150 gallons of water, with the Webasco heating system.and washer / dryer, but would we go back no.
We can park the BF anywhere we wish without being to heavy and to long.
We have no trouble parking in all the parks in the NE. If we wish to go to a state park no trouble.
Yes you can full time in a BF, if you sit down and really go over what you really need and pack accordingly.

DON USN ret.
2002 26'RSB
1987 Cabriolet Covertable toad
hrgermany

Re: 26' RSB Closet Size

Post by hrgermany »

If you are interested in my closet space modifications, please give me y

I also moved from a24RB to a 26RSB and miss the closet space.I will do your modification.Please send me some photos later.My E-mail adress
HANSIPOO@AOL.COM
Hans Rueckert

I also moved from a24 Rear Bath to a 26 Rear Side Bed and miss my large closet space.I will do your closet space modification.Please send me
some photos later.
My E-mail adress HANSIPOO@AOL.COM
Hans Rueckert

ur E-mail address and I will send you some photos later[/quote]
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

The main reason for no overhead bed in the 30' and 32' foot coaches is due to the body design. They both have a flat roof without the large over the cab design of the 24' and 26'.
Mel & Connie
pete&mindy

Post by pete&mindy »

We, too, considered a Born Free and a Lazy Daze when looking for a good used coach. We spent several hours looking over a Born Free 26RSB one weekend and several hours looking over a similar size Lazy Daze the next weekend. The construction and quality of materials/craftsmanship in the Born Free was (and still is) far superior to the Lazy Daze.

Also, the level of suppport Born Free provides to owners (even those of us who bought used on the secondary market) is terrific.
Tim and Mia

Post by Tim and Mia »

We couldn't agree more!!! There is simply not a better Class C motorhome made anywhere. We too have owned all varieties of recreational vehicles from slide in campers on a pick up truck to 38' Class A to trailers etc, etc.
The Born Free products surpass them all.
In fact, we found out about Born Free while visiting Humboldt, Iowa to get a Jet-Air suspension installed on our Class A. That was a few years ago and we have never turned back!!!
Born Free quality is evident when the coach is new and will especially show itself over the years of ownership.
LeAnn

closets

Post by LeAnn »

The discussion of storage space has been the biggest source of potential concern at our house as we are trying to decide between the 24 or 26 ft. RB. My husband's concern is the overall length of the vehicle, we do not want to tow a vehicle, but still want to be able to drive inner city areas to museums, site see, etc. My concern is "enough room" for a teenager, two large dogs, two adults. We would be having a cabover, need the "room" the rear bath offers for privacy of various passengers.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. We are temporarily stuck in the discussion. The additional closet for teenager clothes, dog stuff, shoes, coats, etc. and kitchen side storage seems like a great idea, but the additional two feet - does it cause problems with driving in town areas - ie to universities, ball games, corners, street parking while visiting relatives - etc.?

We originally looked at a Roadtrek and deicded it was too confining and BF is a better investment hands down. One would think the discussion over two additional feet would not be a big deal - but we travel long distances over considerable time in the vehicle - 2-3 weeks some vacations. Other times, it is for a weekend at a lakeside.

Your experiences and thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Linda Giuliani

Closets etc.

Post by Linda Giuliani »

Initially my husband didn't want to tow a vehicle behind an RV, so he was looking at a 24 foot thinking it would be short enough to manuver in cities and towns. I told him we would end up towing anyway because we wanted to get off the beaten path and perhaps do some 4 wheel trips. Besides, if you are camped for a couple of days in one place, you aren't going to unplug the rig from it's hookups and stow all your gear in order to uproot and drive into town to sight see for the day, then return to the campground that same day and set everything back up again. If you are dry camping you have less to do to get on the road, but there is still a checklist and some time and effort involved just to "go to town".

Ultimately I talked him into a 26 RSB and we are thrilled with our unit. We have all the comforts and storage we could ever need for a weekend or for several months. Even if we had purchased a 24' BF, we would have ended up towing because we really enjoy getting off the beaten path. In addition when we are spending a couple days in one spot before moving on we sometimes put 200 miles a day on this tow vehicle while the Born Free is parked. What a relief to know that we already have a campsight established and our Born Free is set up to welcome us home when we return (weary) in the evening after a long day of sightseeing.

We purchased our Born Free used because we were first time RVers and weren't totally sure of our needs or desires. (Figured we could make a mistake more cheaply with a used vehicle.) Turns out we chose the perfect unit for us and we plan on keeping this beauty for many years to come.

Whichever size you decide on, you really can't go wrong with the quality of the Born Free!

Linda
Bill Ruh

closets

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi LeAnn,

Several members have had both 24' and 26', so I was hoping they'd offer their thoughts. I have neither...

Regarding the extra 2', I think the short answer is that you won't notice it when driving but you will notice it when parking. It's not just more length, it's also less maneuverability with an extra 5' of turning radius.

Regarding storage, we've always had enough room in our 21.5' rear door. We've done a 3-week trip with the 4 of us and 2 9-day trips with 6 (sleeping 2-4 in a tent). The left cabinet over the sink holds dishes, the right cabinet over the sink and 2 smaller overhead cabinets hold food, the 2 largest overhead cabinet hold clothes, 1 overhead holds books/games/cameras, 1 overhead holds miscellaneous, the large back drawers hold clothes, and the back low cabinets hold leveling blocks, tools, a heater, and shoes. We do not have storage under the sofa. We have a large closet that easily fits coats and dress clothes. Sleeping bags and pillows fit in the cabover, even when folded up.

We don't tow and do use the motorhome pretty much like a car. We park in single-aisle parking lots in 1 space by hanging the back over the edge. It's harder than maneuvering a car, sometimes you have to park further away, but it's pretty manageable. I'd guess a 24' would be worse than our 21.5' (but you could still back into spots), and a 26' would require multiple spaces.

It's really nice to have a kitchen and bath and all our stuff mid-day at a trailhead or museum or whatever. We usually dry camp (or just use electric) and don't leave stuff out, so "breaking camp" takes only a few minutes.

It's all a personal decision. Renting a motorhome for a weekend may help find what's right for you.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”