Refrigerator "No LP" Reading

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Refrigerator "No LP" Reading

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I turned on my Norcold refrigerator and set it to propane (LP) a couple of dalys ago in preparation for a trip. Twice it has shut down and read "No LP" on the door display. There is plenty of propane in the tank. The first time probably 12 hours or so elapsed between start-up and the display. The second time more than 24 hours. Has anyone had the problem and solved it?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
2002 Born Free 24' RB

No LP

Post by 2002 Born Free 24' RB »

There may be no propane in your line to the refrigerator only air. Before I start my refrigerator on LP, I will lite my two burner stove to be sure that there is propane in the lines to the stove and refrigerator. I usually have to turn the refrigerator on and off a couple of times before it lites. I hope this helps.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

It starts -propane ignites because I open the outside access door and visually check - but it shuts off with the message "no LP" hours later. If it shuts down again I'll light the stove burners first, but I don't think initial air in the lines is the problem.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Leonard Wood

Post by Leonard Wood »

The refrigerator is very sensitive to low voltage conditions which may be intermittent. I had a similar problem that was solved by cleaning and tightening the coach battery terminals. Worth a try.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Sam Ryan wrote:[I had this particular situation you described; and what I started doing was opening up to high, one of the stove burners, but not lighting it. I would turn on the shower air exhaust fan to pull the fumes out the rear of the coach. I would do this for about 30 seconds, turn the stove burner off, then light the refrigerator successfully.
Unlike natural gas, LPG is heavier than air and will settle near the floor. No amount of exhausting with a roof vent will get rid of it. :roll:

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I failed to mention that I checked the owner's manual for the Norcold Model 641 that I have and found the fault codes. However, none indicated "no LP." There is a "no FL" meaning no flame which is about the same. The manual gives no suggestions on what to do than to take it to a repair facility. The flame is a nice blue. I vacuumed out the "rust" that falls from the flue this last time I got a "no LP" reading and so far it has not shut off again. However, since it is so eratic, it could shut down at any time.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Don't know if it is any help, but here is a link to the online Service Manual for your refrigerator:

http://www.landonedwards.com/carter/fil ... 6-N8SM.pdf

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

We had a similar problem last summer. After a service tech check out the problem, he discovered that we had accidentally turned off the LP detector. :oops: Unfortunately, our many efforts to re-ignite the flame really messed up the refrigerator's main circuit board, and we ended up having to replace it, which was an expensive repair caused by our mistake. :roll:
Barbara & Ken
whemme

Post by whemme »

Barbara and Ken,

If you are talking about the LP detector located generally low in the stair well of the coach, shutting off that detector should have no effect on the operation of your refrigerator.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Our LP detector has a safety feature that keeps the LP from "flowing" if the detector is turned off. And "we did not know that" before this situation happened.
Barbara & Ken
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Barbara & Ken wrote:Our LP detector has a safety feature that keeps the LP from "flowing" if the detector is turned off. And "we did not know that" before this situation happened.
Makes sense. Is this a "feature" on all BF coaches equipped with the OEM LP detector?

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

To be honest, I don't know. Because of Bill Hemme's response, it might not be the case for Born Free's LP detectors. We now have a Country Coach, and it is a standard feature. It's a good safety feature, but since "we did not know that," we really messed up the refrigerator circuit board with all our attempts to get it to ignite. Embarrassing and expensive lesson learned. :oops:
Barbara & Ken
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Not sure with the Born Free, but on my previous Bounder and Allegro, if the LP detector was turned off, no LP appliances would work.

In both those rigs, the LP detector had it's own shutoff switch and did not shut off with the 12 volt disconnect.

Someone has to know how the Born Free is wired :?

John
whemme

Post by whemme »

Well I can tell you that in my 2002 Born Free 26' RSB coach, when the house battery disconnect switch is OFF, the LP gas detector is also shut off. Maybe the factory changed that in newer models.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

jobrien wrote:Someone has to know how the Born Free is wired :?
I'd like to know.

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”