Compartment Door Water Leak Fixed

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Robert D. Grant

Compartment Door Water Leak Fixed

Post by Robert D. Grant »

I have waited a while to report this "fix" in order to validate that it is really fixed. Well, with the torrential rains that we have experienced since the "fix", I feel safe to report that it is really "fixed". Based on a suggestion by Brett at Born Free, we drilled holes in the bottom of the compartment door under the sofa. The water that was apparently penetrating into the door and leaking thru the inside of the door onto the carpet, now drains out the bottom of the door.
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

That seems like a sloppy fix for a leak that was not supposed to happen in the first place. But at least it keeps you unit dry.
I had a similar leak but the factory re-adjusted the compartment door to fix it.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Bob, please post some pictures of the holes you drilled. I don't have and leaks now, but if I get one I'd like to know how to fix it quickly.

Thanks, Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

As I have mentioned before, I live where we gets lots of rain and I store my BF outside. Because I found rain water collected in the lower portion of many outside access doors, I drilled several half inch holes on the underside of almost every door -- generator, battery, under couch, propane, etc. My purpose was not to stop inside leaks, but to keep the doors dry.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
David and Susan Bratt

drilled holes

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

Are these holes drilled on the down facing edge of the door?
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
Robert D. Grant

David & Susan,

Yes.

Barb & Bill,

Will post a picture later this week. Born Free is at storage facility.
We also drilled the other doors as a precaution.
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Bob, we have a similar leak and are looking forward to the pictures. Thank you very much!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

Is there any chance that bare plywood was exposed around the sides of the drilled holes? Did you need to do anything to seal the sides of the holes? It seems like water draining through the holes drilled through the floor might cause some water problems for the sub-floor. But, maybe this isn't a problem at all with the way you did it.. Larry
Robert D. Grant

Larry,

The holes are drilled thru the bottom edge of the door, not the sub-floor. This allows the water which apparently is penetrating the ouside periphery of the door to drain out the bottom of the door to the outside without building up inside the door and penetrating thru the inside of the door into the compartment area and sub-floor. I will try to get over to the storage area tomorrow to get a digital image that I can post to make it clear what we did.

Bob
rv4fun

Post by rv4fun »

Bob, Thanks for the reply. I knew I wasn't understanding something.. Larry
Sab & Ann

Compartment Door Water Leaks

Post by Sab & Ann »

Attached is a sketch of how we fixed our compartment door water leaks.
Practice your skills on the inside first before you attempt the outside RTV bead. You will have a nice looking bead and it will keep the water out of your compartment.
Sab & Ann
Attachments
BF Door Seal 001.pdf
Born Free Door Seal Sketch
(15.32 KiB) Downloaded 697 times
2000 RB, E450
Robert D. Grant

Attached are pictures illustrating the drilled holes in the bottom edge of the compartment doors. Image #1 shows the bottom edge of the large compartment door behind the driver's seat and under the sofa. It almost always got wet under the sofa when it rained until we drilled these holes. As a precaution we also drilled the other compartment doors. Image #2 shows the bottom edge of the rear compartment door next to the water heater as an example.
Attachments
Born Free Compartment Door Leak Fix #2.jpg
Born Free Compartment Door Leak Fix #2.jpg (102.6 KiB) Viewed 14977 times
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

Thank you both, Sab and Bob for your posts on this subject. It looks like Sab's approach attacks the cause of the water being a problem, and Bob's approach is a method to solve the water entry. I think I will try the RTV bead first. It would seem that keeping the water out of the channal is better than draing it out later.
Thanks again guys
Jim
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

Duplicate post of above was deleted by the bfadmin. The typical cause of most duplicate posts is that the submitter clicked the Submit button more than once!
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I agree that although both of the above work well, another source of water accumulation is the lock. I have removed a couple that turned out to be quite rusty, replaced them with new locks and resealed them which did cure the leak problem.
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”