Camping near New York City

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BonaProf

Camping near New York City

Post by BonaProf »

We're interested in camping near New York City this fall. We'd like to be close enough to take public transportation into the city. We have thought of New Jersey, the Hudson Valley, and Long Island for a pet friendly site, but have been unable to find a decent public or private campground nearby. We ask if anyone has driven their RV through New York City to Long Island, and can anyone recommend a campground near the city?

Thanks to all--
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Well, I'll give it a shot.................

I grew up and learned how to drive in NYC, and I would NOT attempt to drive an RV through the city. The traffic, road conditions (BIG potholes) constant construction would deter me. That being said, I do know people who live in Queens and tow a trailer, so it can be done. You are not allowed on certain roads, there is a difference between expressways and highways. I believe you are allowed on one but not the other. I can find out the acceptable roads if you are interested.

There is a "campground" in Jersey City, right on the river with a view of Manhattan. It is also a marina, has a nightclub on the premises and it is a large paved parking lot with hookups. The neighborhood is questionable and the night club noise may be annoying at times. I have never stayed there, but know a few people who have. No problems, but it's not your typical "campground". It's minutes from the NJ Turnpike and I think you can walk to public transportation. Don't know about the pet friendly part.

In Newburgh NY (Catskills) there is a decent KOA. They provide bus transportation into NYC from the campground. We stayed there so I know they are pet friendly. Very close to West Point Military Academy (good football games and historic sites) and Bear MT. State park.

Those are the 2 closest that I know of. If you want more info, let me know and I will look it up or ask friends who may have the correct info.

John
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

There a county park in Croton-on-Hudson, NY, called Croton Point County Park. I have not yet stayed there (I live about 15 miles from it), but have walked through it. It seems reasonably nice, and is within walking distance (under a mile) of a train station where you can get a train to Grand Central Station in NYC. I have seen dogs at rigs in the campground, so they should be dog friendly.

Here is the URL for park information: http://www.westchestergov.com/PARKS/Par ... ntPark.htm

There is a link for RV camping, and that page has a link to download the PDF brochure for the park, which includes the fees for camping ($30/day I believe). I don't know when/if they close for the season. The park is not included in either Woodalls or Trailer Life directories, so there is no objective rating for the park.

The telephone number for the park is (914)862-5290. They should be able to give you definitive information on pets and dates and availability.

Good luck,

Joe Zygala
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
John S.

Post by John S. »

I have stayed at both of the parks. One is Liberty Harbor and it is on the water and near the water taxi. It is a bit loud at night but it ends. It is a bit convoluted to get too but it is easy if you follow the directions. I have taken a DP there even. I heard that it was sold and will be closing in the next year.

I have also stayed at Crotin on the hudson Park. It is very nice but has a lot of long term seasonal sites. It is an ok park but it is nice to be able to walk and to bike and to get down to the water and I would stay there again.

As to goign out to Long Island. It is possible and not that terrible. You do not really have to drive into NYC but you might want to hit it in the late evening or very early morning. Traffic is intense and people seem not to give way. But then again we are much bigger and that does make an impact on them.

I am going up to NY and Long Island in a couple weeks. So if you are going later I can let you know what I find out. I have a 24 foot Born Free if that makes any difference, though I think not.
BonaProf

Post by BonaProf »

Thanks for the information about Liberty park and the Westchester Parks. I contacted the former and they are booked far in advance by visiting caravans. I printed the pamphlet which made the Westchester Parks sound good, I'll contact them.

I grew up on Long Island and fondly remember going out to Montauk Point about once a year. I want to see my old homestead in Massapequa and then roam around the eastern end of the island. I have a son who lives in Brooklyn, but I would not try to take the BF onto the city streets. When I visit him there is always lots of traffic on the expressway across Staten Island and Brooklyn but there are large semi's and buses in the traffic and they seem to get along fine. What I would like to do is go through Brooklyn and Queens on the expressway and then find some campsite in Nassau or Suffolk County where I can catch the LIRR to visit my son and then be able to head east on the island. I would guess that there are some campgrounds around the eastern tip, but I understand that has grown like the rest of the country and will be far busier and populated than I remember.

Thanks again for your ideas--

Ed
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Linda and Ed Eckert,

I have just come back from a short stay at Croton Point Park in Croton-On-Hudson, NY, Westchester County. The park is rather nice. It has good paved interior roads. The sites are mainly grassy with some trees and some shade. The sites are spaced about 35'-40' apart, so you get decent separation between neighbors. Because there is no vegetation between sites, you don't get visual privacy that way, but because the roads are curved, you are not staring directly at your neighbor. The park is pet friendly. We and our friends we camped with brought our four tiny dogs. Just make sure you bring a rabies certificate, as they require it for all pets who enter the park. All in all, I would give this aspect of the park good ratings.

The bath house is adequate, but not great. Probably about a 6 on the Trailer Life scale. Because there are no screens on the door or windows, you do get some bugs. Other than that, the bath house is clean enough. The showers do not have a separate changing area, so you have to just dump your clothes outside and reach for the clean ones, or come out into the common area to change.

The walk to the train station is just about 1.5 miles. Between the park and the station is an old, capped land fill that has gone to weedy fields with gravel paths through the fields. Using these gravel paths may cut up to a half mile off the walk to the station. I would not recommend doing this after dark, but is easily do-able in daylight. If you go into the city on weekends, there is lots of parking available at the train station, and you could certainly park the Born Free there. On weekdays, to use a New York-ism, fuhgedaboudit! The lot is filled with permit parkers, and there is very little metered parking. You would definitely have to hoof it.

You said you were wanting to stay "in the fall". The RV camping is open through the end of October, so I don't know if that matches your needs.

The part of the park south of the RV campground contains some tent sites and some cabins surrounded by conifer and hardwood forest, and is very pretty to walk through. If you are a bird watcher, fall is an excellent time to visit. The weedy fields of the old land fill attract lots of migrating sparrows and other weed-loving birds. October may be a little early, but later in the fall and into the winter, the cove between the point and the mainland of Westchester county attracts hundreds to thousands of ducks of many species. Bald eagles also come into the lower Hudson valley in late fall and winter.

All things considered, if you are visiting prior to November, this is probably the best compromise between attractiveness and ease of access to NYC that you will find.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”