Care of Deep Cycle Batteries

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

camai7

Battery Maintenance & Solar Panels

Post by camai7 »

I don't believe anyone responded to the Eckert's question re the impact of solar panels on battery maintenance. Should one do anything different while motor home is in storage?

Also, when should one turn off the battery master switch when hooked up to electricity while actively travelling - i.e, is every time you hook up or when you are stationery for 1 week, 1 month, etc?
Jim
whemme

Post by whemme »

Jim,

If your coach is equipped with the standard Magnetek/Parallax 7345 single-stage charger/converter unit, then I would recommend after 3-days in an RV park hooked up to shore line AC power that you then disconnect your house batteries by shutting off the battery master switch. Continued charging after 3 days will be over-charging with resultant water loss from the battery cells.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

Bill,

Hard for me to remember to turn off master switch after 2 or 3 days as you suggest (probably another sign of advancing age lol). Is there any downside to turning it off every time you hook up to power?

Bob
whemme

Post by whemme »

Bob,

Assuming that your drive time to your RV park of choice was maybe 4 to 6 hours or more and that you had your battery master switch on during the drive time there, then your house batteries should have been fully charged from the Ford chassis 130-amp alternator. Knowing this to be true, when you arrive at the RV park and hook up to shore line power, then I would suggest that you should shut off your battery master switch as no further changing should be necessary and would just contribute to over-charging and water loss if the switch was left on under these conditions.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Robert D. Grant

Post by Robert D. Grant »

Bill,

Thanks. Yes, generally speaking we always drive 4 to 6 hours before hooking up.

Bob

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”