Possibly Buying a 30ft

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Road Dog

Possibly Buying a 30ft

Post by Road Dog »

Howdy Club Members! I just joined this forum. I do not have a Born Free yet but maybe you can help in my decision making process. I am thinking of buying a new 30ft model with a walk around queen. Do any of you own one of these? How do you like it? How is the ride?(very important). We currently own a 99 Bounder 32ft no slide and we started looking at new class A's but to perfectly honest, I am really fed up with the lack of quality control and the quality of materials and workmanship. It seems to be hit or miss on almost any make. I've read all the horror stories people have with their coaches and decided that Born Free is top quality. I like class A's but I still feel like I am driving the Queen Mary. So we will go back to a class C where we first started. Can anyone shed some light on the 30ft model. It would really help confirm my belief that Born Free is the way to go. Also If you have any negatives, please share them. Thank You All! Road Dog
Mel Wilbur

possible buyer

Post by Mel Wilbur »

As you are a reasonable distance from Humboldt IA, I would highly recommend a trip to the factory, both to check out the 30ft and possibly the 32ft on the kodiak chassis. When we downsized from a 40ft class A we drove from RI to check things out and were impressed with what we saw and felt it was definately worth the time and effort. If you decide to make the trip, call and speak to Phil Overby or Jerry Ehrhardt at the factory to make an appointment (1-800-247-1835), I think you will find that it would be well worth your time and effort. As we have a 26RB I cannot offer you any info on the 30ft but can say we are very pleased with both the coach and the Born Free company.
Mel & Connie
Road Dog

Trip to Plant

Post by Road Dog »

Thanks for the reply Mel! Wife and I are planning to take a tour of the plant and meet Jerry. Hopefully we can go when the weather is nice. If not we will wait till Spring. We are not in a hurry. I have been doing research on all the makes and models and I am strongly leaning towards Born Free. It seems to me to be the best bang for the buck as far as quality is concerned. I have looked at the cheaper ones i.e. Coachmen Concord and the very expensive i.e. Isata. Oh by the way did you know that Chinook is in receivership. I read it on rvbusiness .com I think they are way overpriced as is Isata. Most of the time you get what you pay for, however sometimes you don't even get that! I will buy my next coach based on quality, service, reputation, and floor plan, never on price. Thanks again for your input!
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

Road Dog
We downsized from a 40 FT Vough to a 24 FT Isata. The only people at the time that would talk to use was Lazy Days. No problem on the price or downsize just the Isata. Most expensive piece of junk I ever owned. We only kept the unit for six months till we found the 2002 26' RSB with entertainment center. We are like you. We wanted quality and not have to work on the RV each time we went somewhere. I was not interested in the slides, if I wanted a house we would have stayed home. Born Free is about the best quality class C in the market. No problem in getting parts or information from the factory, Born Free club, or this forum.
I don't think you will regret purchasing a Born Free, new or used.
Good luck.
Don USN ret
2002 26' RSB
1987 Cabriolet convertable Toad
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

I agree with going to the factory -- see Jerry -- I am now on my second Born Free - we had 2 Country Coaches and like the Born Free best --the factory will make some changes to any floor plan for a reasonable fee - this is a plus for the factory -- we had a couple made and appreciated there willingness to make them for us --Bob Newby

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”