Big Trouble: Fixed window in cabover leaking water!

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Sam,

Our 2005 doesn't have a front cabover window. I suspect that BF, like other mfrs, has learned a lesson and quit building in cabover windows.

If your window is of the typical RV configuration, the window has an outside frame and an inside frame which sandwich the wall in between with a series of screws around the perimeter that squeeze the wall between the two frames making the seal.

I'm afraid that trying to replace the broken screw will be futile - even if you can get it out and replace it you're still likely to have a problem with a broken seal or a thin spot in the wall thickness. The good news is that removing the whole window is relatively easy and the broken screw will then be easily accessible. Once removed, clean off the old butyl rubber tape or grey sealing tape. Inspect the framing surrounding the hole for dry rot or wetness. Dry and build up the frame around the perimeter to an even thickness, surround with new butyl tape, re-install the window, trim the butyl and seal with RTV.

If there is no water damage in the wall it is a very easy fix - provided it not raining and you can reach the window. If you are traveling, a local RV shop should be able to handle it quite easily and cheaper than a trip to Iowa.

Your description makes me think the previous owner tried to fix this same leak before and that's how the corner screw was over tightened.

Best of luck to ya.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Bill Ruh

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Sam,

Our 1991 had a different style cabover window than your flat-glass window. Ours was a wrap-around (extended around the sides) plexiglass that only had 4 attachment points. I tried valiantly to seal it in-place, but without success. It would seal, then we'd drive it and the flex would open it up again. I spoke with Curt Stowell, then born free customer service manager, and he agreed that in-place sealing was unlikely to work. There were 2 options: 1. remove the window, replace the gasket, and reinstall the window, and 2. remove the window and cap the cabover with a custom-shot fiberglass nosepiece. I opted for the latter and drove to humboldt for the $895 (parts and labor) repair. Except for an extra seam, it looks factory original. So for 5+ years, we've had no window, no leaks, and no regrets.

Your window is different than ours, so I'm not sure you need anything so radical, but to really fix it, I'll bet you need to remove the window, thoroughly clean the old sealant, reseal, and reinstall the window. Surface caulk never seems to do anything except slow down the leak. I've heard of a liquid sealant that is supposed to seep into cracks then harden, but don't have any experience with it.

While it needs to be dealt with, IMO it doesn't require a trip to humboldt tomorrow. When ours was leaking, I removed our cabover bed, pulled back the carpet and put a heater on it. You could also tape a plastic cover over it (smooth so it doesn't chafe, with modest-adhesion tape).

For those buying new with a cabover, I strongly suggest getting a solid nosepiece so you don't have these inevitable conversations...
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I am pretty sure that BF no longer offers the window in the nose of the cabover anymore because of this very issue. Mine is solid. While I do feel a bit "closed in" sometimes, it's not enough of a problem for me that I would want those problems and the window. I only every go up there to sleep anyway, so I can't see through the window with my eyes closed anyway :)

PatTrish
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

Sam
I tried to e-mail you and for some reason it didn't go through. If you look at all the new Class C's they are doing away with the front window. With the heat we have in Texas you would be better off getting a closed nose piece. It is no problem in replacing the seal on your window. Go to a Glass place and they have a sealler that is used on the windows and it will not dry out as fast as over the counter types. I replaced my rear window that was shot out by kids, and even though it sealed okay, I went to a glass place that installs car windows and put a seal for safety reasons also on the installation. The type they have doesn't harden. Sorry I couldn't meet you the last time you came through Childress
Don USN ret
2002 26' RSB
Toad 1987 Cabriolet Convertable
George Boley

Post by George Boley »

Sam
For the discolored wall/ceiling fabric, get a can of "SPOT SHOT" made by the WD-40 Company, Can get in most grocery and hardware stores. I had the same thing happen and the factory thought they would have to replace the fabric to get rid of the stain. I used spot shot, worked like a charm. :) George B
jhillis625

Overhead window leak

Post by jhillis625 »

Sam, thaks for your update on your window leak glad that it is doing well so far. We have some problems in the same area. :? So we may have to have ours redone. Let us know if there is any change. :D
bensae

water leaks

Post by bensae »

I have been having a leak problem soaking the carpet on our trip south to FL this year. We have a 2006 26 foot RB. At first I thought it was from the sink drain which shook loose, or the water outlet from the tank, which also was leaking very slightly, but both have been fixed and the majority of my water is at the level of thejunction between the cab and the "house" on the left hand side--the port side. I have put marine caulk up high where there is trim at the junction, but doubt this is the spot. Most of the water (still slightly wet after three sunny days with the long port compartment door open under the sofa) is along the carpet on the inside of the front 2/3 of the compartment and behind the driver's seat. I don't think it is the side window. We have no front window -- a major design defect we now avoid since our last RV. I suspect the compartment door itself. Any ideas on supplementing the gasket?
Randy Wilson

Post by Randy Wilson »

With reference to the wet carpet on the driver's side, we had a similar problem that was hard to find. It was due to a small split in the fresh water tank filler hose caused by rubbing on a rear corner of the cabinet edge (under the counter) just to the right of the galley stove. It leaked every time we ran with the tank full and during filling. Over time we accumulated a lot of water before we became aware. The water traveled forward under the sofa. Fortunately, it did no serious damage due to the fact that the floorboard is encapsulated in fiberglass. Check that filler hose as well as pump hoses and fittings. the leak may not be where it seems. Good luck!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”