Long Range WiFi Kit for RV

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Brent

Post by Brent »

Sam,

This looks good.

I'm assuming it requires the loading of some software on the laptop? Do you know how much space it requires? One of my laptops is a mini with limited space, but I would be willing to carry a larger unit to get this kind of distance.

Does it also require disabling the the internal antenna in the laptop?

Let us know what you think, I've been thinking about this for some time.

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Steve

Post by Steve »

I posted a "HowTo" install an external antenna for WiFi on my coach in the Coach Modifications page: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=1059

You might check it out. I included the make and model of both the USB WiFi unit and antenna.
It works great and we consistently get signals greater than 1500' and once pulled in a useable signal from 1 mile away (line of sight).

Steve
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Sam Ryan wrote:I have not installed the 20 foot cord and antenna in my coach, but plan to soon.
Sam, get cracking, its been almost two months since you purchased this kit, and its still not installed in your BF. :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Sam, good to hear the product is working well for you, and look forward to hearing how it works once it is mounted in your coach ~~ after viewing the link you provided, it seems that the version of the product with the wireless repeater would provide the ultimate degree of flexibility both in your coach and sitting outside while camped.

A couple of additional comments:

Not all unsecured wireless sources are necessarily intended for your free use ~~ could just be your neighbor who hasn’t yet figured out how to password protect their wireless router ~~ sort of like if they left their keys in their car they probably didn’t intend for the neighbors to take it for a spin :>)

Also, as I believe I previously posted, anytime you use a unsecured wifi source, no matter where it is coming from, you should consider using a VPN product of some sort, or just assume that anything you type is free for use by anyone around you (including passwords, account information, etc.)
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Steve

Post by Steve »

Sam,
I installed my external WiFi antenna about 1 1/2 years ago and ran the cable down the reefer vent. I had to drill a hole from inside the overhead cabinet but behind the reefer to fish the cable thru. I drilled a 1 1/2" inch hole and now have several wires/cables running thru it. It is hard to see down the curved vent hole from the top, after drilling the hole I pushed thru some string and then from the top (vent cover removed) I used a fish wire to pull the string out. I would suggest leaving a pull string/wire when you are finished installing your WiFi cable (for future projects).
I had actually drilled the hole for another project: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... .php?t=493
when I installed my satellite dish, but then installed the WiFi cable thru the same hole that I had left a pull string in.

Steve

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”