Reefer problem

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ann P

Reefer problem

Post by Ann P »

(is "reefer" the correct RV term for a refrigerator?!)

So, my Dometic reefer/whatever has been misbehaving for most of the past 2 months, on my 2008 BF 24RB which I've had for just over a year. When it got cold in late October, the Fridge would go into Error Code (E1) when I turned on any heat source: furnace, heat strip or space heater. BUT- not every time. I had a welcome break in Nov. when I took a flying vacation, and also moved the coach from CO to AZ. But when it got cold at night again, I'd have the same problem plus things got really quirky...the error code would come on when I wasn't home or when nothing was running besides the fridge. Some nights I had to reset the fridge 13x, others just 3x. It would cut off on gas mode as well as electric, but not when I was boondocking on LP (when it was warmer outside). I haven't been able to keep too much food in there, for fear it will spoil , and I don't keep the heat on overnight even when it's 40 or lower here, because that will usually set off the fridge. No fun.

Two weeks ago, a RV tech replaced the Dometic circuit board, and I had a blissful week of peace , heat and food, til the same old stuff happened. Now I've moved to a different city, so I called another RV tech who checked the Parallax converter and found a problem there. He turned off the fridge at the converter (I think), and ran an extension cord from the outside outlet for the fridge to the outside 110 outlet by the door. And tonight, I've been able to run the furnace without the fridge screaming at me!

When the previous RV guy was here, he made a comment that it wasn't a very good converter, but he didn't check it . I know some of you technical whizzes have replaced the Parallax with other units. In any case, I would like to know if anyone here has had similiar problems with their Dometic and/or the Parallax. Thanks.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”